Author Topic: Osage HLD Flatbow- “Irma”  (Read 11979 times)

Offline Parnell

Osage HLD Flatbow- “Irma”
« on: October 04, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »
Almost done with my first hollow limb effort, almost done.  The bow is pulling nicely. Just needs finishing.  Here are a couple teaser shots.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:33:57 pm by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage HLD Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
Very nice looking work Parnell.  I like that handle design
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:22:53 pm »
Very nice looking work Parnell.  I like that handle design

Thank you kindly, Clint.  I do believe I've taken some cues on that from your work. ;)
1’—>1’

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »
That's a tease for sure, but knowing your work I'm sure this one'll go down in the books. Looks awesome so far.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 04:25:06 pm »
Beautiful work. What is the purpose for scooping the limbs like that?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 04:51:09 pm »
Looks really nice. 

I'm sort of wondering how durable such a design is.  I heat-treated an old HHB bow with fairly wide, thin limbs many years ago and the end result was essentially a hollow limb bow.  When I braced the bow and tried to pull it back the limbs split right down the middle from fades to nearly the tips.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »
Lookin good Steve! I did a mild hld static a couple weeks ago. I like it a lot! Yours is hollowed out more than mine though. I had a slight crown to work with
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 07:20:06 pm »
Damn Steve that's looking good ....the tease worked ....:)
Your stuff Flintnapping & Bow work is really looking good lately.... way to go!....
Will H why don't you post some of your work anymore??
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JohnL

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:31:19 pm »
     Marc, I had the same exact thing happen to me a while back.  I had spent many hours hollowing out a highly-crowned character stave, from an Osage sapling pole I felled, and when I started bending it, I kept hearing little ticking sounds.  Sure enough, that thing split right down the center of the limbs.  I just sat there looking at it completely deflated.  But I will say that I had wondered prior to that build, what would keep a wooden bow limb from suffering the same radial grain line checking, that occurs when felled logs are left full-round and unsealed.  When you cause the crown of the limb to flatten, every one of those radial grain lines are trying to pull apart along the belly.

-That said, I have made a couple of slightly HLD (shallower in the belly) bows - one Osage and one CrepeMyrtle shorty - that did just fine.  I like the idea and the science behind it, not to mention they look sexy, but once you see one split itself in two, it kind of makes you take a step back.

-John

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »
Looks good! what kind of crown are you working with?

That's interesting, Marc. I see what you're saying. Something to think about. I wonder if Simon has experienced that. He's made quite a few. I wonder if certain wood types hold up better to that particular kind of strain and others don't.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
l love the look of the handle. I am also wondering whether certain woods are more suitable for such a deep HLD design than others. I can totally visualize what Marc and JohnL are saying. One way to figure out the radial tension would be to apply a strain gauge, but I have only dealt with them for larger structures so I would have to research it a bit on whether they are available for something the size of a bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 07:00:25 am »
Looks really nice. 

I'm sort of wondering how durable such a design is.  I heat-treated an old HHB bow with fairly wide, thin limbs many years ago and the end result was essentially a hollow limb bow.  When I braced the bow and tried to pull it back the limbs split right down the middle from fades to nearly the tips.

It's certainly crossed my mind, as well.  Especially putting in the extra time on the hollow limb.  It's been done primarily with a goose neck scraper.  I'll need to get a better tool if I intend to make more.  That goose neck is tough on the hands.

I'll be interested to see how it holds up, Marc.  It's going to my buddy as a gift.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:36 am »
Looks good! what kind of crown are you working with?

That's interesting, Marc. I see what you're saying. Something to think about. I wonder if Simon has experienced that. He's made quite a few. I wonder if certain wood types hold up better to that particular kind of strain and others don't.

Thanks, Weylin.  Not much crown.  It'a a 4 year old stave from Kansas.  Good Osage with one clean knot on the lower limb.  We'll see how it does.
1’—>1’

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 07:10:43 am »
 I love hollow limb design but I like to keep the centre a little thicker than the edges. I've only used it on high crown timber though.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:41 am »
Damn Steve that's looking good ....the tease worked ....:)
Your stuff Flintnapping & Bow work is really looking good lately.... way to go!....
Will H why don't you post some of your work anymore??
DBar

Thanks for the compliment, Bill!  I feel a lot more focused these days. ;) ;D
1’—>1’