Author Topic: Off hand eye dominance.  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Morgan

Off hand eye dominance.
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:44 am »
My lovely wife has shown interest in me making her a bow to shoot with me. She is right handed and left eye dominant. She shoots rifles left handed but does not feel she could shoot a bow that way. I'd like to make her a bow that is 30-35 lbs to start her out as the bows I have made this far are too heavy for her to draw with any stability. My question really is, should I make one even lighter in the 20-25 range and encourage her to try to adapt to left hand shooting or let her shoot instinctively right handed. I shoot instinctively with both eyes open, but also learned gap shooting. I taught my oldest son gap shooting as I think it gives more opportunities for success starting out. I just don't know if any level of accuracy would be attainable drawing to your off eye? Opinions?

Offline ksnow

Re: Off hand eye dominance.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:25:36 am »
I shoot right handed, left eye dominant.  I am by no means a great shot.  I do HAVE to close my left eye when I shoot and draw to my right.  If I keep both eyes open, I will never hit what I am pointing at.  I also shoot long guns right handed, and close my left eye also.  Just something I started as a kid.  Doing anything left handed feels extremely awkward for me.
If she has never shot a bow before (or very little experience), I would encourage her to give left handed an honest attempt.  Any time you can work with your dominant eye it is better.  I think it is much easier to retrain muscle memory than try to retrain eye dominance (if that is even possible).
Start her on the lightest bow that feels good to her. If she struggles at all, that is a recipe for bad habits.

Kyle

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:41:21 am »
 I myself shoot with both eye's open...But there is no law that says you cant squint or close one! If it works go with it...So many times I have heard shoot with both eye's open...Do what works for ya...
                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:06:46 am »
If she shoots instinctively eye dominance doesn't matter. Make the bow so she can shoot it comfortably.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:15 am »
If she shoots instinctively eye dominance doesn't matter. Make the bow so she can shoot it comfortably.
Right now she doesn't shoot at all. She said that drawing with her left hand seemed awkward and uncomfortable. She can't close just her left eye. She can however close just her right eye. I should encourage her to shoot right handed with both eyes open then?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:32:55 am »
Let her shoot so its comfortable. She should keep both eyes open, look at the target and draw the bow and release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:20:29 pm »
That's a tough one.  With both eyes open, when she focuses on the target, she will "see" two arrows.  Her brain will choose the arrow her left eye sees and use that to "aim." That won't be the arrow that is lined up under her right eye.  As a kid I actually tried drawing across my face, to my left eye, which didn't work for me.

If she's never shot before, just get her shooting.  She might figure it out pretty quick herself.  Too much worrying about every little detail can suck the fun out of it.  On the other hand, not addressing it may lead to bad habits.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:43:24 pm »
I never see my bow or arrows while drawing. If she is concentrating where the arrow will go she'll never see the arrow.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »
That's a tough one.  With both eyes open, when she focuses on the target, she will "see" two arrows.  Her brain will choose the arrow her left eye sees and use that to "aim."
Kyle

I'm the same way. The "two" arrows I see are about equal in transparency but I think I'm right eye dominant. I have no proof of this but I think it means that I'm not solidly right dominant. None of the tests for dominance seem to work conclusively. I'm sorta ambidextrous in other stuff too. Any way, when I see the "two" arrows I tell my brain to concentrate on the right one. I still see both, I just use the right one. I mostly shoot instinctively but I do take a quick peek at where the arrow is pointed before I release. 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »
   I have shot instinctively in the past, but now use the gap method...I don't have a lot of time to shoot daily so I have found a method of gap where I can stay at a grapefruit size target from 20 yds, I am a hunter and owe this to the game...Shooting RIGHT handed anchoring under the RIGHT eye, she will see 2 arrows with both eyes open, use the LEFT arrow for gap shooting...Like Pat said, shooting instinctive is not looking at your arrow, anything else is a hybrid form between gap and instinctive... You can become very fast getting a shot off with either technique... Right eye anchoring uses left arrow vision  (SH)
                                                                                                                                           Don

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:56:56 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Morgan

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:07 pm »
Thanks guys. Sounds like she will be able to shoot right handed and left eyed. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:28 pm »
Have her find a method that works best for her and stick to it. All of the traditional methods of shooting a bow work so it's up to her to figure out what works best for her and is the easiest way for her to learn so she doesn't get discouraged.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:51 pm »
I too am right-handed and left eye dominant and an "aimer". My experience was that I just learned to deal with it.
Best of luck to her!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
my wife drew to her off eye with pin point accuracy,, shooting better than me with out much pracitice,, it was humbling,, (--)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:59 pm »
I go the other way, left handed, and right eye dominant.  Learned to shoot left handed and never changed, I probably shoot instinct or snap shot, but after about 70 years, it's too late to change, besides the right arm agrees!  I do shoot rifle right hand and can do shotgun either way.  Do whatever is comfortable and accurate!  Good luck and eat only on the days you practice (SH) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry