Author Topic: Off hand eye dominance.  (Read 6345 times)

Offline Woodeye

Re: Off hand eye dominance.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:09 pm »
I'm a long time (57 years old, shot my first arrow at the tender age of 7 during summer canp) right handed left eyed cross dominant shooter.  I gap shoot right handed, one eye closed while aiming with great success.  I do all my range estimating very quickly before drawing.  I think you are totally correct in saying that gap will lead to quick success, I do this often with NASP kids.  Once they get a consistent anchor and overall shooting sequence I move them into a natural gap aim point and they are off to the races.  Hold distance consistent to gain confidence and then start controlled distance moves to learn the various gaps needed.  "Instinctive" sounds great in theory but is mostly discouraging for beginners and should, in my humble opinion be avoided at all cost.  That should stir the pot some!
Waterford, Wisconsin

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 12:39:35 am »
Wood eye,
I really think that is how most of us learned to shoot, regardless of dominant eye!  Here's a bow and some arrows, Oh you're left handed(right handed)' hold the bow this way look at the target, pull back to your chin, cheek, ear, whatever, release, see where you hit and adjust where you look!(aim). Do everything else the same! (SH) >:D!  You got it right!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 06:41:47 pm »
maybe you are right about the instinctive, but I think most do a combo of both aiming and instinctive,,, even if not aware,, they are instintively aiming or gapping,,
I  have read many dissussions on pros and cons,, and always wonder how the ancients thought of it,, when I am shooting a short bow with no anchor,, I come closer to understanding some types of shooting or aiming,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 05:16:10 pm »
My dad draws a bow to his chest in a modified Ishi style. I seen him even shoot compounds that way. Have her try an ishi style shoot, or draw to her nose, letting her wrist touch her nose as an anchor point.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Morgan

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »
My dad draws a bow to his chest in a modified Ishi style. I seen him even shoot compounds that way. Have her try an ishi style shoot, or draw to her nose, letting her wrist touch her nose as an anchor point.
I like the idea of drawing to her nose.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
Same boat but I'm a great shot. Every time I wake up or the sun's to bright or I have to one eye something I use my right eye also I would pick something out across the room or somewhere and place my finger over it and close my left eye I'd do this untill I could change focus between eyes.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:52 am »
I shoot right-handed and left eye dominance and like many don't find it easy drawing left-handed. For many years I was always conscious of the arrow point being to the right of the point I was aiming for. This year, after watching a video (one of Rick Welch's I think), I moved my anchor point to underneath my chin and found I am much more consistent.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:46 pm »
Thanks guys! Now I just have to get her a bow finished