Author Topic: help with arrow spine  (Read 3279 times)

Offline legend

help with arrow spine
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:40:21 am »
Hello all , following on from a similar question from " ksnow " , I also need to try and understand arrow spine ! so can anyone tell me if I have this right ?
If I have an all wood laminated Hungarian horse bow approx. 56" and I have a 26" draw pull length at 40lbs draw weight , the width of arrow pass needs arrows approximately 5lb to 10lb lighter in spine ( than the draw weight of 40lbs ) to help bend around the bow . This means that the arrows should have an approx draw weight of 30lb to 35lb to suit my horse bow ? am I right or wrong ?
Thanks .

Offline archeryrob

Re: help with arrow spine
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:44 am »
It depends on how center shot your bow is. My primitive bows I shoot a 42 pound spine on a 55 pound bow. The arrows needs to flex around my handle. On traditional bows which are completely center shot you could use a 65 pound arrow on a 55 pound bow.

If you are making arrows, read up on bare shaft testing and reduce the center of the arrow until it shoots correctly. Then you know the spine you bow needs.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:49:19 am »
yup Legend you are on the right track, further from center, the softer spine you need, closer to center of the bow, the stiffer spine you need.
as Archery Rob said, if you are making your own shafts , through a process of trial and error you can easily figure out your required spine.
if you are buying shafts, then get a test kit of a variety of spines( most if not all wooden shaft manufactures offer these kits)
and watch this video- its the best i have ever seen on bareshafting.
especially the part about starting really close- that will save a lot of heartache over broken shafts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOPiriLbcM

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
if you are struggling with some of it, you are more than welcome to give me a call anytim eof the day or night  :D , i would be more than happy to spend some time on the phone, and help you through it.
1 250 557 2434

Offline legend

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:24:14 pm »
Thanks Guys

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
Don't immediately buy into the light spine thought, bare shaft a few different spines to see what your bow likes. My osage bows always shoot poundage plus 3 to 5 # over the best, they are not center shot.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:14:11 pm »

then get a test kit of a variety of spines( most if not all wooden shaft manufactures offer these kits)

I made a set. No fletching to mess with, it's easy. Works very well, especially when you are just starting. After making your own bows for a while you can second guess pretty well.