Author Topic: Handle wrap finish  (Read 1210 times)

Offline DC

Handle wrap finish
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:52 pm »
I wrapped this handle with the wrapping from an old tennis racquet. I like the old look but I was left with the raw leather on the ends. I built up and wrapped it with upholstery thread soaked in CA and it looks, well, OK but there must be a better way of finishing a rough edge like this. Any suggestions? Examples?

Offline PatM

Re: Handle wrap finish
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:42:26 pm »
Typically an edge is skived if you want  the finished side of the leather to taper to the wood smoothly.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »
Thanks Pat. This wrap was pretty poor quality leather and I didn't think I could skive it but after you mentioned it I went back and tried it on a piece of scrap and it went OK. Now all I have to do is find another old tennis racquet that doesn't say "Spalding" on it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:56:43 pm »
If you wet the leather a little you can probably burnish those edges smooth. Once dry a good hand rub with leather treatment like Montana Pitch Blend or Mink Oil will refresh the leather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:16 am »
Yes you should burnish it for a tidy edge. Use a spot of leather finish or a similar dye and rub the edge back and forth with a piece of antler or similar. A skieved edge would look a mess after time and use. It would be too thin to withstand any 'abuse'.