Author Topic: Pa doe down  (Read 4094 times)

Offline RAU

Pa doe down
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:45 am »
Shot this nice doe yesterday eve with Osage bow "big Ruthy", ash shaft and woodsman head.

https://imgur.com/a/5TENm

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Pa doe down
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:14:35 am »
Congratulations!  Nice shot placement.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:37:11 am »
Good shooting Rau. Well done.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:46 am »
Nice shot congrats !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:20 am »
   Nice shoot placement, looks like "big Ruthy" is performing well... (SH)
                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
Nice shooting Rau. Could you tell us a little more about the hunt? Did you get her at the edge of the corn field? I just love hearing the hunting stories.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:45:34 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:39:25 pm »
Congratulations! Nice shoot

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 12:27:53 am »
Nice shot!  Looks like you have some hunting partners coming up!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RAU

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:29 am »
I was set up on the side of a hill above that cornfield in the picture.  The top of this hill was logged in recent years and has grown into thick brush that deer are bedding in, and coming down into the corn in the evening to feed. This hillside has several well worn deer trails on it and I can usually expect to atleast see a deer or 2 here. About an hour before dark I caught movement coming down the hill and I see one big lone doe heading towards me, shes acting funny tho and I don't know why, I had the wind and she didn't see me, but whatever it was she got real nervous and barely moved for atleast a half hour only her ears moved, durring  this staredown almost on top of me, to my left, I hear a twig snap and just move my eyes and there's 2 more doe bearing right down on me. They're going to walk under my tree, around 10 yards the lead doe barely caught me moving my bow into position, she didn't freak out she just didn't like something and she doesn't know what I am but knows something big moved above her, she stopped and trotted back five steps the one that was in the rear is now closer prob 12 steps she reacts to the lead doe and turns to the left giving me a perfect quartering away shot. I don't like to shoot at deer on red alert especially with this gear. These deer weren't on red alert but  weren't totally relaxed either. I figured I'd be ok if I could get bow into position and drawn without them blowing out of there. Seconds pass and after some nervous twitching they calm enough for me to slowly turn draw and shoot. That ash shaft instantly appeared right behind the shoulder of that deer but the penetration worried me. It seemed like there wasn't much arrow in her. I waited 20 minutes got down and looked around. I found very light blood trail and 1/2 of arrow broke off 50 yards in and it's clean!! Now I'm getting worried!! Could I have punched her in the shoulder and not got into the chest?!? No there was no loud crack and I know what I saw!! I hit her perfect!! I back out now as it's pretty much totally dark and run for a better light. Well to make a long story short I got worried for nothing.  I hit her perfect through both lungs and the broad head was peaking out the offside shoulder. The front half of the arrow was plugging both holes leaving no blood trail. I practically fell over her walking through high grass near the corn field. Thank god!! It's amazing how I can go from nervous,self doubting, Disgust to total relief and happiness at the sight of that white belly laying in the grass!! This is my third primitive deer.  I can't imagine bowhunting any other way. I love it!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:25:49 am »
Thanks for the story about the hunt Rau. Sometimes a picture might tell a thousand words, but a couple paragraphs put us right in the tree with you.
Congratulations again, way to hold it all together and wait for your shot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 03:18:19 pm »
Well done, RAU. Well done.

That being said, I prefer mine rare to medium rare.  Enjoy every bite!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:57 pm »
Congrats on the kill.
What part of PA are you from?

Offline RAU

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 08:31:26 pm »
Exeter, north east part of state 1/2 way between Wilkes-barre and Scranton

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 03:16:55 am »
Nice doe and very nice shot, I sometimes worry about penetration when I see them run off with lots of arrow hanging out, but if you think about it all you need is about 8 inches to get into both lungs even on a large deer. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:47 am »
Good shooting, Congratulations.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?