Author Topic: recommend backer source and type?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline paulc

recommend backer source and type?
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:08 am »
All, I've had some hickory and ironwood sitting in storage for literally 15yrs+ and am thinking it is time for me to do something with it.  But it does have some bug damage across underside of bark so I think the best route would be to clean up the back and then back it with something.  So I need suggestions on what to back with and where to find it.  And consider me a beginner as I have only made one bow from osage and that with a lot of supervision.

Thanks for any suggestions.  Paul

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: recommend backer source and type?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:18 am »
Like you said check it out under the bark.With hickory I've found if a post hole bug gets into it it will eat a very fine hole deep[look closely] into the wood rendering the stave useless but if it's just lateral bug damage under the bark it could very easily work for ya.
Regardless using your intuition and gut feeling on these staves is your best route.If backing them makes you feel more comfortable...Do it.Thin rawhide 1 to 2 ounce stuff works pretty good for splinters.I've heard and seen cherry bark work too.Thicker skinned sturgeon skins and snakes can do the job too.Planing it flat on the back if it is'nt too characterish of a stave for a wood backing can be an option too.
If you don't trust it but it's ready to tiller I'd back before tillering it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:42:19 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:43:57 am »
Is backing them not the "required" fix since there isn't any chasing of rings with white wood...?  I had assumed the easiest obtainable and least expensive would be some kind of wood on wood set-up.

Paul

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:12:29 am »
Ring pourus chasing a ring is doable on white woods just as well as osage ot black locust.Linen and hemp backing is an option too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
You don't necessarily have to back it. Going below the bug damage and chasing a ring in hickory is doable, if like BowEd said, the damage is shallow, only in the first ring or two. In such a case, you could chase a ring and make a selfbow with it, i.e. no backing. Look very closely down all sides of the staves for tiny little holes where the borers would have exited. If they're halfway down the sides for instance, it may be ruined or would require too much work and I probably wouldn't bother with it.

An additional concern for me would be the integrity of the wood otherwise. If it was left with the bark on after being cut, and maintained a high enough moisture content that would allow bugs to attack it, I would wonder if the wood had begun to degrade and lose some of its resilience as well. Just something to keep in mind. The first bow you make from it should tell the tale I suppose. Perhaps you know its full history. If not and your bow seems to take a lot of set for no apparent reason, that could be it.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 03:08:35 pm »
Another option for you depending on the length you where going to make is sinew , hickory/sinew make a really nice bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline paulc

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:02:26 pm »
THanks all, I will take a closer look sometime this week and report back.  Paul

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:11:53 am »
If you have not chased a hickory ring before doing so may seem like a daunting task but is doable, not all that hard you do, you do more chasing with a scraper than anything else. All my hickory is very tight ring stuff so a little scraping quickly goes down to the next ring. Having the proper lighting over your work is a must to see where the rings are and what you have to do.

I have chased a ring on hickory I cut too late and had to drawknife the bark off, no big deal but I have a lot of experience. I have also made hickory bows with ring violations on the back and never had one fail because of the violations. Hickory doesn't come apart on a ring violation like osage does.