Author Topic: New point  (Read 7333 times)

Offline flecha

New point
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:18:53 pm »
I got busy and made this point.  I was nervous doing it.  Seems like I'm prone to busting off the tips or the barbs.   I wish I could take pictures like you all can that show off the flake scars.  I think this style is called a Gunther or Gunter or something like that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline DanaM

Re: New point
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
Man thats a petite little thing, looks wicked though
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Staver

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:49:22 pm »
Flecha, that's a nice lookin' point! 8)  I definitely wouldn't want to get stuck with it! :'( LOL  Joe H

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:05 pm »
Fletcha

Nice work,,, To take good pics of the flake scars you need good lighting and macro on the camera for close up shots,,, Try using a lamp with a 60 watt bulb for your lighting source if your taking inside.........You can also take an arrow shaft and stick it i the ground and lay your point on top of the shaft and get some awesome photos, looks like the point is floating in air.

Good Chippin

wvflintknapper

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »
Very nice point ! When I lived down in washington state,We called those columbia river jem points.Found them all along the river,from tri-cities to bonneville dam,up the yakima and umatilla rivers.Seen them in dried up ponds along side the river also.Pretty !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:49:59 am »
Must watch Paleomanjims videos on making Gunther points on Youtube! I love them guys!!! Nice point. Now try it a bit larger?

Hint! When working on the tangs hold it by the tang and flake toward your finger. Also, never put any pressure on the center of the point. If you do you will break off the tangs. make sure your finger support the back edge of the point and that will lessen the breakages. Should anyway but I'm not always right on these things!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline flecha

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:36:27 pm »
Regrettably, I don't have access to YouTube.  I've heard that there are a lot of good videos on there.   Thanks for the ideas on how to support it.  I don't like to make them much bigger.  I like the delicate, little refined look and feel.
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 05:56:50 pm »
If you are on the net you should be able to get to Youtub. Type in www.youtube.com and you should be able to access it.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »
To me those little winged points are harder to make than a 12 inch blade, broke more than I have finished.....Keeping those long barbs on is tricky.

wvflintknapper

Offline flecha

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:45:49 pm »
If you are on the net you should be able to get to Youtub. Type in www.youtube.com and you should be able to access it.

David T

Unfortunately, it is blocked at the location I use to access the internet.
Arnold Rojas