Author Topic: What type of Carbon Fibre to use on a recurve  (Read 6524 times)

Offline billym

What type of Carbon Fibre to use on a recurve
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »
A friend has asked me to build him a recurve bow using carbon fibre and bamboo. 

Although I've don a ton of searches on this forum, I don't know what type of carbon fibre to use....?

I have wondered about this...
https://store.acpsales.com/products/2382/carbon-fiber-uni-web-unidirectional-fiber

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: What type of Carbon Fibre to use on a recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I doubt you'll find much if anything on carbon fiber or fiber glass used in bows on here. As modern power structures are taboo. Think of this group as all natural, with the exceptions of string materials and glues.
Though if you wanted help with a bamboo backed or all bamboo bow, you'd find more help than you'd know what to do with.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:33 pm »
Polymer fibruls????You must have a misconcepted opinion of what this site is.That's not natural materials in a construction.If you've done a ton of research on this site you should know this site is for natural material constructed bows.It's no wonder you did'nt find any reference for your carbon fiber on this site.Non for fiber glass tape either.
Just use the bamboo alone.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:44:19 pm »
Bill, i think you will get all the info you want on tradgang, they build mostly glass bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »
I sent you a PM.

Offline billym

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »
Polymer fibruls????You must have a misconcepted opinion of what this site is.That's not natural materials in a construction.If you've done a ton of research on this site you should know this site is for natural material constructed bows.It's no wonder you did'nt find any reference for your carbon fiber on this site.Non for fiber glass tape either.
Yes, my apologies, I should have know better....bugger...sorry for the mispost.

Love this forum but won't ask again about CF or others....  Now, about that ash bow I want to make.....:)

All the best,
Bill

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:47 pm »
Ohh?  You got a good piece of ash? 

My first was some great ash.  Still love that bow, even though it splintered on the back and is now retired.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:47 pm »
Funny how fond memories of even a wore out piece of ash can bring a smile to your face.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:05:37 am »
You want a lam that is made up of about 0.015 unidirectional and then woven bi-axial carbon on the face. Don't go thicker than 0.030 total.
Pure unidirectional is only any good on longbows that don't have the tendency for the limbs to twist.
I know because I make carbon lams all the time and use them in modern bows :)
Tradgang is pretty good for the info you want but beware there are a lot of half truths talked about carbon lams and how they affect things ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 04:36:34 am »
@ Mike...
Can't help wondering if you get two half truths and laminate them together.... oh never mind  ;)
Del  ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:59:54 am »
Yes, my apologies, I should have know better....bugger...sorry for the mispost.

Love this forum but won't ask again about CF or others....  Now, about that ash bow I want to make.....:)

All the best,
Bill
Glad you can appreciate this forum.Your story changes now though.Yes show the ash.Even the recurve using bamboo alone.Good luck.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline billym

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:39:08 pm »
Ohh?  You got a good piece of ash? 
Hmmm...that's a good question..?  It is nice ash that I use to make shaker style boxes.  But, I don't know how it will perform as a bow?  The last bow I made was made out of an ash hockey stick.  I'm guessing the year was 1965.....wish I still had that bow....:)

Offline billym

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:25 pm »
You want a lam that is made up of about 0.015 unidirectional and then woven bi-axial carbon on the face. Don't go thicker than 0.030 total.
Pure unidirectional is only any good on longbows that don't have the tendency for the limbs to twist.
I know because I make carbon lams all the time and use them in modern bows :)
Tradgang is pretty good for the info you want but beware there are a lot of half truths talked about carbon lams and how they affect things ;)
Hey thanks for the tips....I'll check out tradgang for sure.  I love forums but yes, half truths abound......:)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:39 pm »
.....wish I still had that bow....:)

Archer's Lament
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »
Isn't sinew a fiber mostly made of carbon?  Just sayin. . .