Author Topic: Paper backed black cherry, expected goal weight with this mass and dimensions  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

I have another black cherry stave roughed out to try for a heavy longbow. This time I backed it with heavy brown paper. I'm hoping that'll be the right amount of additional tension strength to help it hold. It's 72" between the nicks and 1 5/8" at the handle tapering to 5/8" nocks. With the typical parallel 4" either side of handle, then tapering to the nocks. The mass is 733grams. I'm not so much expecting to make a shootable bow as much as hoping to. I haven't decided between trying to get a 30" warbow draw out of it or just a go easy in it and go for a heavy draw at my shorter 26.5-27" draw. Either draw length, I'm hoping to hit at least 70-75 pounds. For those that know how to work the mass calculator. What do you all think it could possibly hit. Once I start tillering I'll be going VERY slow with it.

All advice appreciated,
Thanks
Kyle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
I don't know the mass calculations but do know black cherry. I think you will be lucky to get that weight and the bow stay in one piece.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

This has been an experiment I've been tryjng. I'm seeing what it'll take to make black cherry hit war bow draw weights. The closest was an 82" one that was 1 3/4" wide that made it to 24" at 100# before it went. This will probably be my last attempt before I cut the remaining staves into lamination cores.

Kyle

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Keep us posted and wear a helmet. :OK
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Will do. I'll probably even have video of it either turning to shrapnel or making full draw. I've got video of one letting go now. My rope has me almost 20 feet back when it comes to drawing. But I'll still probably have a helmet.

Kyle

Offline Badger

I just finished a black cherry with hickory back this morning. 71" nock to nock  60#@28", I was going for 70# but I tapered the ourside limbs a bit too much when I roughed it out. I roughed out out at 1 3/8 wide and after refinements came in a 1 5/16 wide. Upon finishing the bow I found it was slightly short of hitting the 5/8 longbow ratio and had to slightly narrow it to 1.2"  to meet the ratio requirement, this dropped it to 57#@28".  I started off with 1 3/4" reflex glued up as a full even radius ( important) The bow finished with 1 1/8" reflex.  Mass weight was 17.2 0z. It cast a 500 grain broadhead  drawing under 27" 212 yards. I was very happy with it.

As for your bow, I would not waste my time with a paper back, cherry is very poor in tension. A very thin backing of ash, maple, even oak would work fine. My favorite hunting bow for many years was a red oak backed cherry.

Offline Badger

Your biggest challenge at that weight will be meeting the 5/8 ratio rule. A full arc of the circle tiller and 1" maximum reflex with a finished demension of 1 1/4" should work but only if you use a solid backing.