Author Topic: #2 with the old Kodiak Magnum  (Read 8512 times)

Offline osage outlaw

#2 with the old Kodiak Magnum
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:47:54 pm »
Life, work, and the family have kept me busy most of this season so far.  I haven't been able to hunt since opening day.  I hit the woods this evening with about 2 hour of daylight left.  I got settled in a tree overlooking the end of a mowed field.  About 30 minutes later I heard movement to my left.  A doe and 2 large fawns made their way towards the field.  It was kind of breezy and the old doe was being very cautious.  She held up just inside the woods and became very nervous.  She would look every direction for several minutes before taking a step.  It took her about 20 minutes to work her way into the field.  She knew something was up but couldn't figure it out.  Several times she looked my direction but never saw me.  My home made camo may look funny but I'm convinced it works.  She was within 20 yards of me the entire time.  During the 20 minutes it took her to enter the field I was concentrating on keeping my heart rate down and trying to not move a muscle.  Once she made her way into the open field she walked through my shooting window before I could stand and get a shot.  Then suddenly she stopped and turned around giving me a 15 yard broadside shot.  I don't remember drawing or releasing the string.  I saw my arrow hit her a little low behind the shoulder.  As she took off I saw blood spraying out.  She only made it about 40 yards before going down under a fallen tree.  I was by myself tonight so I didn't get a picture with me in it. 

This is the opening where she was standing when I shot

The blood trail was easy to follow. 

This is deer #2 for the 1962 Bear Kodiak Magnum in only 4.5 hours on stand this season.

The shot was low but it still went through the heart.

I found the arrow but the Zwickey point was missing from it.  I tried looking for it but couldn't find it.  I'll try again in the daylight.  I've been very impressed with the Cliff Zwickey point.  I don't like how it came off the screw in adapter though.  I'm not sure what they used to glue it on. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: #2 with the old Kodiak Magnum
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:09 pm »
Good shooting Clint and congrats on #2.  Those old bows still do the job.    :OK
I'll come by and help you eat some of that venison at the Classic next spring.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:39 pm »
Sounds good Pat.  I'll have some marinated loin steaks and some burger. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:58:14 pm »
You're making my mouth water.   -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »
You need to get there early in the week Pat.  The deer doesn't last very long.   

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:30 am »
Way cool Clint - I know that Bow is smiling a bit  (SH) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:08:32 am »
Nice job Clint, nice eating and some good shooting. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:23 am »
     Was wondering where you were. Was starting to think maybe you were upset for me kinda taking over your view from the stand thread.
     Congratulations again Clint. You must kinda like that bow, it sure seems to like you. Not thinking the deer have the same warm fuzzy feeling for it. Good Hunting Clint. I know you didn't get as much time for setting stuff up preseason and all but dang can't complain about the results. Two does in two hunts in 4 1/2 hours hunting time. Maybe your on to something there.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:07:47 am »
Excellent shot bud.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:56:47 am »
Congratulations again.  :OK

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:13:37 am »
Fun read. Congratulations, sir!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:10 am »
Good shot Clint.Right where it counts!!It's your year this year.More good woods home store products....lol.Congratulations!!!
Is'nt that a woody weight on your tip?I like those stos and zwickeys too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:54 am »
So you shot the tree and it crushed the deer?    )-w(         ;D ;D ;D

dont worry about me. I'm jealous. great shot  :OK

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:23:12 am »
at that time/deer ratio it's all good
Bone
Venice Florida