Author Topic: Passing it on  (Read 2999 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Passing it on
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:31:35 am »
    Ever since I myself became totally and hopelessly addicted to this Selfbow building and hunting I've been trying to pass it on to others. I have had a limited  success with a few playing around with Flint knapping. I haven't been able to get anywhere trying to pass on building selfbows. I have had a lot of interest in people wanting to hunt with them.
    This year I built selfbows for two people I believed had the determination and drive to hunt with them. They both practiced until they were deemed good enough shoots to hunt. They worked hard at it. They both wanted to hunt with stone points so I knapped them points that were sharp, legal and the proper weight to match the target points they replaced.
      Hunter #1 was at somewhat of a disadvantage having to travel a long distance to get here. He knows the area well though and I tried my best to setup a few spots for him after he visited this summer. He had 7 days to hunt if everything cooperated. I suggested the first night to setup where he could view a large area and observe the deer movements. He hunted hard every night and most mornings. Every hunt he kept getting a little closer. About the 5th night I could tell he was starting to get a little down. He hadn't gotten anything closer than 30 yards. I told him that's hunting. You just never know when like magic one will appear broadside at ten yards or less. I told him stories of Hunts I had that I deer in range and didn't even draw my bow. He was slightly reassured.
       The next evening changed his life. He was setup where a old tractor ramp comes up the hill. No tractor has used this ramp for a very long time. He was standing on the south side of a pine tree his brother planted years ago watching to the north. Suddenly he noticed a deer coming up the ramp. It was going to pass through his scent and he was sure he'd get busted. As it got closer he realized it was a nice four point buck. It passed through his scent without detecting him. When it got 6 yards from him it looked right at him. Without moving he turned his eyes to the ground avoiding eye contact. He could see the bucks feet and watched them walk to the small bait pile he put out. When he saw the buck start to sniff the bait he raised his head. There ten feet away stood his first opportunity for a shoot. He said he thought about waiting, but it was standing just like you told me to try for quartering away. As he drew his bow to full draw its limb rubbed a branch. The buck turned tail and started to bound away. He was at full draw now and instinctively shoot at the quickly departing buck. His arrow was very high and glanced off the bucks front shoulder. It's that sweet but sad feeling. You want to tell everyone it at the same time you don't want to tell anyone. That's hunting and $&it happens. He learned a lot of valuable lessons hunting this year. The one that will really gain him confidence is that this isn't impossible. It's not easy, but the really rewarding things seldom are. He's hooked and already planning for his next selfbow hunt and how to improve his hunting spots and chances. I'm actually pretty proud of him.
       Hunter #2 is still out there. I believe he has a very good chance. He shoot fg many years ago. He is a pretty good shot and has some good Hunting property. He has a good amount of hunting experience but realizes how different this is. I'm just waiting for his call.
       My hunting has been the most thrilling hunting of my life. I have had many deer in range at times even for hours. So far I haven't taken a shot. I'm still waiting for the right shoot and the right animal. I got on the board last year and I above all want a clean shot. I'd rather watch one walk away then run away with a poor shot. I know this can still happen to me but I'm going to do as much as I can to prevent it.
     I really enjoyed passing on the addiction and I have many more people interested in hunting with selfbows next year. We shall see. Really hoping to be able to pass it on.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:18:10 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Passing it on
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:15:03 am »
Well written BJ.When the hunts' over and your gutting the animal the REAL excitement is gone.The fun is over.Might be hard to realize with no success in the beginning but after time and success it's realized.It's the part of the hunt you remember the most.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:21:24 am »
I agree Ed, I think that's one more reason I haven't let a arrow go. Just want to keep enjoying the hunt. Bjrogg

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:53:56 pm »
great story,, it doesnt take much of a noise to spook a deer at close range,, we just keep trying,,
even the best predators in nature are not successul 100%,,best to you and your hunting

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:41 pm »
Good stories BJ. I have been hunting with my bows ad arrows for over 10 years and still haven't taken a deer. I've only shot at 2 and after pacing off the distance found they both were too far off. I got impatient and took the shots and shot under both. I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to and feel uncomfortable hunting from a tree stand anymore. I've never been a ground hunter but that's the way I will continue, even if it is only on limited occasions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 04:56:26 pm »
just getting out there with your bow is great fun,, if you get lucky even more fun,,
I like deer meat so much, I enjoy the process all the way to the dinner table if I am lucky,,
 (-S

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
      Your right Brad. That's another challenge that makes this so difficult and so rewarding. I've had people say to me " oh anybody can hit one at 10 yards." Maybe a target, but just getting that shot off that close at a live whitetail is really the ultimate challenge. It's not like I can draw my bow and wait for my shot. In the end it takes a enormous amount of patience and when you decide to a very deliberate draw and a good bit of luck. A lot can go wrong and only one thing that can go right.
      Thanks Pat, I understand the feeling in the tree stands. I'm not as squirrel like as I was in my younger days. I also like to take a little nap sometimes, neither go very well with tree stands.
They do have there advantages. I really hunt a quite a bit from the ground and have talked to a lot of compound hunters that shoot deer close from the ground.
      Brad your right again. There is just something about walking to your favorite hunting spot carrying all equipment you made. It just feels great and enjoying being out there. I've got to admit, it's a lot more fun when your seeing something and I have been very blessed this year with more entertainment than I ever imagined possible.
       It's been really exciting to pass this type of hunting along. I really think there is a growing amount of hunters that would really like to try this type of hunt. It does take determination though and I know a few that tried but lost the feeling and went back to the compound. I think if they hear a few other close encounters they may give it another try.

Thanks everyone and Happy Hunting
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:57:25 pm »
BJ,
Hope those folks are talking about the one that didn't get away nest season!  Live and learn!, and eat only on the days you don't practice.  Hope they have the patience and perseverance to succeed!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 02:15:35 am »
Good on You BJ  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 04:14:41 am »
Cool story BJ, and good for you in passing it on, as we all know and find out over the years, it's not for everyone but once in a while you will get someone hooked just as you are. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:12:40 am »
ThankYou Hawkdancer, I really hope so to. I'm still betting on number 2 hunter getting one this year, but I've been wrong before.
Thanks Bob I really consider it a privilege and would be honored to have both of them totally hooked.
Thanks Pappy, like I said it's just a honor and privilege to pass this addiction on. Your right as much as I'd love everyone to hunt like this I know it's not for everyone. As Clay Hayes says you've got to be willing to let that trophy animal walk because he is just out of range. That in itself many just can't handle. On the other side to me and most who hunt like this, they all become trophies.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 07:51:37 am »
Hope you and your fellas get a good shot.In Iowa here we can't bait at all except hunting from a food plot.They sure do and can come close yet though.Different subject I know but something worth mentioning.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed