Author Topic: any how too's on how to haft a stone point  (Read 4760 times)

keekeerun

any how too's on how to haft a stone point
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:35 pm »
Are there any build along's in the arrow section on how to haft a a stone point. I want to try it tommorow with a rose shoot or a cedar arrow. How do you guys split your arrow shaft, whats the best glue and so on. I have some sinew, so I got that covered. Thanks a bunch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: any how too's on how to haft a stone point
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:45:47 am »
I don't have a build along but I can tell you how I haft a point. I use pine pitch glue but others use epoxy or super glue or even TiteBond.
   I taper the point end of the shaft and cut a slot in the end(I use a band saw). I usually line the point with the nock so it is mounted vertical.Then with a thin bladed knife and sand paper, I open the slot to fit the point. When I get a good fit I melt pitch glue in the slot and push a preheated(not hot) point into the slot and eyeball it from 4 sides to be sure everything lines up. When the glue cools I spin the arrow with the point on the palm of my hand to be sure everything lines up and the arrow spins true. If it doesn't, re-heat and adjust again. Once everything is lined up the sinew wrap comes. With some points the sinew goes around the shaft and point and on others, just around the shaft and a tang if the head has one. I usually don't use hide glue but chew the sinew until soft and wrap it. Your saliva and the sinew will make its own glue. After it is dry I apply a coat of pitch varnish, super glue or TiteBond to seal and waterproof. If the point becomes askew, you can re-heat the point and glue slightly and re-set it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:42:46 am »
Thanks Pat.  I figured it went something like that but was'nt sure, I gonna mount one up today, I might have to thin my base on my point beforehand though.    THANKS.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:45:57 am »
I do it pretty much the same as Pat. Sometimes I have to make my arrows about 3/4" diameter to fit my points, though.  ;D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

keekeerun

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:42:13 pm »
yeah thats where I might get into trouble, my bases are somewhat thick, I keep telling myself just one more flake off the base. already busted a few doing that. I need to learn how to flute one.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:05:47 pm »
The trick to thin bases is to always thin the base before thinning the middle of the point. Otherwise, you meet Mr. Endshock and have an opportunity to make two little bitty points instead of one bigger one.  ;D If you're making the point from a flake, use the thin end of the flake as the base end of the point.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline RAU

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »
Heres a link to just the info your after. Its done by Mickey Lotz

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000080

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:29:22 pm »
 That tute' about covered it.Make sure the wood slants right into the stone for as smooth a transition as possible(Just like a metal broadhead) A little flute makes this easier and stronger,also,I will sand that transition once I get the head pitched in, with very fine sand paper.This is to get the least amount of drag for optimum penetration.I always use sinew and seal it against moisture when it dries good.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington