Author Topic: A quiver full of arrows  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Stoner

Re: A quiver full of arrows
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 05:55:08 am »
Great job! You motivated me to trim the rose bush and cut some shoots for arrows. John

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:52 am »
Yep very nice work, arrows and quiver. i love making arrows , just have to get in the right frame of mind when I do them, I make them 1 at a time and there is something very rewarding when you get it flying just right. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
That quiver is superb.  The arrows look really good, too.  Can we get a closer look?
I'm surprised I don't make more arrows than I do.  They are have been rare with me.  When I'd really commit myself to learning how to break rock my bow making went down big time but I think the quality of my bows went up...forced me to slow down.  I'm due to make some arrows...

Hope to see you jumping in on the knapping link.  Please let me know if I can help you with your start, I'd be happy to be a contact.
1’—>1’

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 03:11:02 pm »
Stoner, trim that rosebush!

Pappy, I can't believe it took me this long to find out how sweet that rewarding feeling is. Still lots of room to grow though.

Parnell, anything that'll help me learn to slow down is something I'd like to try. My plan is to give it a try before the winter months are over, so I'll be reaching out to ya in the not too distant future for sure.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:01 pm »
Darn nice work.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:41 pm »
Here are the arrows. Please feel free to let me know what I can do better.  :)

Oh yeah, the shafts are a combo of douglas fir, bamboo, poplar, and birch. The feathers are turkey or goose, and there's one with feathers I got from the hobby store. The tips are just field points I superglued into a hole I drilled with a hand drill then wrapped with sinew.

I think I went a little overboard with the heat gun trying to straighten them out, which I think is the hardest part of making arrows.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:04:09 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:48 pm »
That's a great looking quiver!
Eric

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 12:37:28 pm »
Jeff....You'll know if you did good by shooting them.They look straight as a pin and good.When I first started making arrows I compared them to boughten ones.Even carbides I borrowed from my friends.You'll be your own worst critic most times.They all don't make it most times but not always.
Making them one at a time and with some not making it[shoot arrows that is] a person gets plenty of practice trying to put together a good dozen or so.Being in the mood and just a need for some really gets me to making them.Plus I'm kind of cheap too.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:33:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 01:21:09 pm »
Nothing wrong with those in the looks department, I like the variety