Author Topic: child size manitoba mucluks  (Read 2459 times)

Offline bushboy

child size manitoba mucluks
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
i have apair of genuine hand made from a cree lady that my daughter has grown out of,she has big feet.there is quite a bit of bead work with what i think is coyote fur.they have a sma[[ amount of wear but in very good condition.[m looking for osage staves or yew.will post some pics if there is interest
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: child size manitoba mucluks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:29:56 pm »
post pics anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
k,will do pat when my wife gets home,on closer inspection i think the fur is timber wolf,too fluffy for coyote.they where a gift from her nanna who is ojibwa/cree from the broken head reserve here in southern manitoba
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
Here's a pic

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:25 pm »
Excellent beadwork!!  Sure wish I had a stave.  About what size are they?  Are you interested in other than staves?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:20 pm »
From what I am looking at, that is not worth a stave of any kind of wood.  More like an acknowledged master bowyers finished bow and set of matched arrows. 

I spent a winter working in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and western Ontario.  I saw many pairs of these kinds of footware in various places and coveted them in the extreme. I spent an hour sitting with a Cree woman in The Pas, Manitoba during the winter Trapper's Festival talking to her about the traditions and craft of beadwork.  All I could afford was a pair of beaded rose appliques that were about four square inches each.  Fair market value for those eight square inches of beadwork should be about $200+, considering material, time, and sheer depth of experience necessary to produce traditional work. 

A serious collector from Germany would easily cough up $750 for that pair of mocs with provenance tracing to the maker.  For those interested, this is a heck of a deal! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »
JW,
 I know that traditional work is very valuable, and often doesn't bring it's true price!  I made a couple of beaded hat bands for myself and figured the cost now would be about $30-$40 per inch, and I don't even pretend to be Native American!  Those are very nice mukluks, too.  I would be reluctant to part with them, or I would pass them down as an heirloom.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:23:05 am »
Thanks,maybe I will store them away.but I will post some better pics if the sun decides to shine anytime soon.on around the campfire.