Author Topic: Am I wasting my time?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline paulc

Am I wasting my time?
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:36:13 am »
Hello All, attached pics are of a piece of muscle wood that I harvested probably 15yrs ago.  It has been abused a good bit but I don't have access much to free wood so I am trying to work with what I have.  I have been flooding the checks with super glue in hopes that helps.  My goal is a shoot-able bow, if it comes in at hunting weight all the better.  The stave is currently 59 1/2" tip to tip and 1 7/8ths" at the handle.  I am not planning on backing the bow for obvious reasons but maybe that is my first mistake?

And how do I put tip overlays on without violating the back?  I have never understood that.

Whatever advice you can offer is appreciated.

Paul

Offline gfugal

Re: Am I wasting my time?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
the tips shouldn't be bending so it doesn't matter if they are violated. Damaged wood is the best time to use a backing because it helps insure your bow stays together without splintering up. as far as that staff... maybe it could work, I won't say it won't, but chances are you'll be wasting your time. Unless you are purposely wanting to see what you can make from something like that without worrying about losing it, then I would say go for it. But if you're invested in making a quality bow with the low chance of failure, then I would say no.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:51:05 am by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:52:29 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58821.msg815017.html#msg815017

I asked where to find bow wood last year. Their answers might be helpful for you.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:55:49 am »
Those are drying checks. They are only a problem when they run off the sides.
Regarding the tips...you can do an overlay.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 11:33:55 am »
Well I just broke it checking floor tiller so I guess it's time to move on.

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:55:35 am »
Paul, abused bow staves are generally firewood and not bow wood.
 I agree with what George said...except for abused wood. Try to make longer bows also. There is a lot less stress on longer bows and after you get more proficient you can start getting shorter and shorter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
what about making a board bow, red oak,,??

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »
Paul  out on the tips the limbs are not bending much and the tip overlays act as backing Tim Baker in TBB does a excellent job of explaining stresses at different points along the limbs the limb tips are under very little tension stress !
If you fear failure you will never Try !