Author Topic: scent covering  (Read 11592 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: scent covering
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 08:21:32 pm »
good all around. used it last year in an untouched area with succes, no fires or anything around
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 08:32:07 pm »
I agree with Huntertrapper, the smell of woodsmoke doesn't seem to bother deer, I have spent countless hours watching deer and their responce to various smells, Tobacco smoke is a big no no. I watched as a hunter lit up, nearly five hundred yards from a deer which was bedded close to my stand. The deer caught the scent and was gone in a flash... I had been hunting that buck for days waiting for a close shot opportunity. Never saw him again until the next year, when I arrowed him at five yards. ;D Scent is the best line of defence the deer have and they use it against us with remarkable results.for every animal i kill with my bow I would say four more stalks are blown by scent,at ten yards we really stink to the deer.. Good luch brother and happy hunting... Hawk a/ho   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »
heres somethin though, my dad knows a guy who had to put his cigarette down while a big buck came into range for him to arrow him. though.....he may have been hunting in a highly populated area of people, the deer may have grown accustomed to the smokeing of people. but i guess it all depends on the age of deer, as for being around them too. the buck i shot last eyar let me get as close as 5 yards before. it was i think that he had never seen a human. it was on top of a large mountain back in about a mile or so.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:35 pm »
I have seen many deer lick tobacco juice. I chaw when I hunt ta cover scent and spit where I want deer ta be for a good shot. While they are preoccupied smelling and licking I have time ta shoot. Tobacco smoke is not necessarily a big no-no depends on what is in area and ifn they are used ta it. The tobacco thing pushed by all the popular mags aint necessarily true. Like I said before its movement and profile.......bob

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:10 pm »
Our deer are not used to the people smells and will leave an area if they scent something not right.. probably the difference between deer living around humans and those living in the mountains..Hawk   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 07:00:28 pm »
coo-wah-chobee, you chew when ya hunt and spit it. thats cool! though if the deer ever been in a tobaccy field theyll smell it.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 11:52:53 pm »
Tobacco is grown here as a cash crop. Thats why it works cause the animals are used ta it..........bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:38 am »
yeah figured something like that.
Modern Day Tramp