Author Topic: 70# BL Static w/ Natural Deflex  (Read 3865 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: 70# BL Static w/ Natural Deflex
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 01:29:44 pm »
Those are some serious hooks! Pretty good draw weight on a narrow (for bl) stave. But as Simon and Del say, it is more efficient if the string comes off at the last part of the draw. You can shorten them a bit and maybe heat them slightly to reduce the angle?
I just bent one hook of another black locust myself. I love how springy black locust feels!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 01:58:09 pm »
Those are some serious hooks! Pretty good draw weight on a narrow (for bl) stave. But as Simon and Del say, it is more efficient if the string comes off at the last part of the draw. You can shorten them a bit and maybe heat them slightly to reduce the angle?
I just bent one hook of another black locust myself. I love how springy black locust feels!

Mmh, sorry to disagree Leon, Jeff had underlays glued on. Applying heat there would attack the glue joint. Making them a bit shorter will be saving mass. Best would be learn to draw that thing a bit further like Del suggested.
Anyways, if you decide to shorten the hooks, try to get it chronoed before and after.

And make another BL bow, shorter but wider limbs and shorter hooks with 50 -60° angle and you will see the difference in performance.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:28:27 pm »
DuBois, the handle glue up wasn't perfectly flat against flat, but I used epoxy to fill gaps and since the whole section is wrapped with rawhide and hide glue I don't expect the yew will popping off. Thanks for checking it out!

I hear ya loud and clear Simson. Can't tell ya how much I appreciate the honest feedback.  ;)

Thanks for chiming in Pat and Leon.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 08:17:57 pm »
Very interesting the way it's put together.  Really like the recurve overlay work.
1’—>1’

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:36 am »
             Very very nice. Love the bend in the handle

Chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:40:59 pm »
             Very very nice. Love the bend in the handle

Chuck

Thanks a bunch Chuck! There's a lot I like about this bow, just a few quirks with the design. Glad I posted it cause I never would have learned the valuable info above.

Cheers!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:08 am »
Great advice given.  Always learning something following posts like this.  Nice work upstate