Author Topic: 71# @ 26" bighorn bow. So far.  (Read 9731 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
71# @ 26" bighorn bow. So far.
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:45:37 pm »
Measured along the belly curve a little under 47" long. Bighorn sheep horn with 122 grams of sinew backing. 71# @ 26" right now. The heaviest bighorn bow I have made with a draw over 20". It started with about 15" of reflex after 6 months of curing. I tried to remove as much as I could with heat. I think it's about 7" now but the bow has been strung for a few days and I'll need to check after I un string it. I have found the bow performs as well after removing reflex as very high reflex but is much more stable. I think removing reflex with heat you are still starting to engage the sinew back. So the horn reflex is reduced but the sinew is not slipping and is already more tense even with the bow unstrung(correct me if I am wrong). My bow draw scale starts at 20# so I don't know early draw but at 11" it draws 22#. 5.5" brace height.  I carefully measured the horn limbs before joining them and weighed sinew to have equal amounts on each limb. I scraped 1 section of horn and as of this full draw picture spent only about 5 minutes tillering, but spent a bit of time with heat trying to get the bend even. It's not done. Just posting so far. I'll keep this post updated.

Offline Peatreg

Re: 71# @ 26" bighorn bow. So far.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »
Looks familiar!! 😜 Can't wait to get my hands on that thing!!

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:41:41 pm »
You can see the right side of the above picture has more early recurve stiffness. I tried to even that today. with heat.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »
Trent, that must be you Peatreg. Yes, I wanted others to see this bow. This and the last bow I finished made me realize the potential of thick, narrow horn and lots of sinew. This bow stores a lot of energy. Good early draw weight and slow stack. After being strung 3 days with a 5.5" brace height it has a 22# draw at 11". 13" draw 30#. 18" draw 41#. I'll check the rest tomorrow.

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:13:15 am »
Yes it's me

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:44:47 am »
Very nice Chuck you make some amazing horn bows keep us posted on that !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 06:57:11 am »
Nice work so far Chuck on another nice set of horns.Look forward to seeing the finish.That preliminary tedious measuring etc. has it's benefits.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:40:58 pm »
Very cool Chuck, bend looks great

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »
Chuck....I see and understand your logic about reducing reflex and the sinew staying stretched even from reduction of reflex with the bonding holding the sinew in place,and definitely can relate to it being more stable then too.The curing time of the sinew has to be enough then I'd say.Reducing width but with enough for stability with increased thickness too thus reducing mass limb weight some too.Very interesting.Thanks for sharing your observations.Seems there's always something a person can do a little farther or more for improvement.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:21:47 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 01:13:19 pm »
Yes Beadman. I think it is worth taking your time in the build and measuring the limbs with a caliper every half an inch to match them exactly. Then weighing sinew to match also. Of course I could not bend this bow at first and also had to count the number of scrapes with a razor blade on each limb.

I can also personally attest to letting the sinew cure for a full 6 months. I once tried using heat after 3.5 months or so and the sinew separated from the horn on one limb. I'll also say i have had good results gluing the back back on after something like this happens.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »
Finally a horn bow with some actual weight behind it😜

I've got mine aimed at 75# still needs 4 more month of dry time before I'll bend it again.

Looks good chuck keep her rollin
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 08:08:33 pm »
You again have done a masterful work of art.
Just curious,
When you say thick narrow horn, how thick and how narrow?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 03:27:42 pm »
Marco- No more than 1.3/16" wide at the handle then taper from there. I'm afraid of going too much narrower than that, but when I get a narrow cutoff I will. one old Lakota hornbow is only 5/8" wide mid limb.  and less than 1" wide at the handle. Thickness of more than 1/2" midlimb. I made a bow 1.5" at the handle and almost that mid limb. It was only 50# and at that it was so unstable. You could never take your eye off it because one limb might overpower the other. Even after over a year(it did have over 12" of reflex). Narrower and thicker is more stable and faster.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 02:20:22 am »
Thicker is quicker :)
that is a cool bow :)