Author Topic: Shofars  (Read 8416 times)

Offline DC

Shofars
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:06 am »
Are Gemsbok horns that have been made into Shofars suitable for bow use? Would it be offending the Jewish folks to do so? I don't have any immediate plans but if I was to trip over one it would be nice to know if i should pick it up :)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Shofars
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:26:37 pm »
I dont know but those might be polished and chemically processed I personaly wouldn't  take the chance with any thing but raw horns , you can find nice Gemsbok horns on the big auction site but need to be selective thickness , length etc
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 06:57:46 pm »
DC...Most times those are reduced from polishing so much they are unuseable for bow work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 01:44:36 pm »
D C
I spent a lot of time and a goodly amount of $ trying to use Gemsbok horns, I couldn't straighten them at all, I boiled, I tried dry heat, couldn't get them to budge at all.
Duke
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:02:12 am »
duke...It's maybe hard to believe but it is doable.Part of the trouble is buying wide and thick enough for use just from pictures for sale.Good thing is it's not as expensive as water buffalo yet.Although I've got a feeling both types will increase in price in the future as use increases.Male horns are usually shorter/thicker than females which are narrower/thinner most times.
A build-a-long is shown "Getting laminations from gemsbok horn".I use dry heat.Might not be the usual way of making them as steaming most times is recommended.A comfortable & familiar use of a heat gun with a laser thermometer is needed by me to get it done properly.The results have been used by me even in very extreme designs without failure.In 3 component horn designs mostly.Even higher poundage type bows also above 60#'s.Hard to believe I suppose but true.In fact I've never had gemsbok horn fail for me.Could be I hav'nt made enough bows with it yet as I've only tried to use it on a dozen bows or so.
BowEd
Ed

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:27:44 am »
Beadman: Thanks fr the tip, will try again.
Duke

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:56:47 am »
Hey Duke, Ed did a Gemsbok horn prepping thread a page or 2 back here in the horn bow section I have some Gemsbok horn but haven't tried it yet  if I remember right I think he said you had to get up around 300 Deg F  to straiten don't take my word for that I'm just going from memory !

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:22 am »
Thanks Stick, I found it, now to find some good horns.
Duke

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:33 am »
Haven't tried gemsbok horn myself, but I have baked water buffalo horn in the oven to make to pliable.  300° for about 10 minutes is plenty.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 12:58:54 pm »
duke..... for bending it's a matter of thickness as to how long it's heated etc.Thinner does'nt take very long at all but you want to do it slowly so as to not harm or burn it and let the heat sink in.Thickness's between 1/8" to 1/4" you will notice a difference immediately.It will cool off rather quickly.Within a minute to stay.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:43 am »
Yeah, I guess I should add that temperature and time were for horn around 1/4" thick

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 06:36:30 am »
I straitened Water buffolow horn that was 1/8 thick with a heat gun and keeped the temp around 220 Deg F  I figured if steam was 212 Deg then dry heat should work around the same , it worked enough for my purpose I think when I get around to the Gemsbok Im going to take them down to 1/8 in before attempting, the thinner they are the easier it is and less heat !

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »
Are Gemsbok horns that have been made into Shofars suitable for bow use? Would it be offending the Jewish folks to do so? I don't have any immediate plans but if I was to trip over one it would be nice to know if i should pick it up :)

As someone who was raised Jewish: Not offensive I do believe.  I could hit up my parents Rabbi tomorrow during Channukah festivities about it if you like.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:55:08 am »
That would be interesting. From what I've read I think it's just classed as a tool and not sacred. But I would like to hear it from a Rabbi.

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:37 am »
That would be interesting. From what I've read I think it's just classed as a tool and not sacred. But I would like to hear it from a Rabbi.

From my knowledge it is just considered a tool as well.  It's used as a "signaling horn" on High Holy days.  No more, no less.  I didn't get a chance to speak to her but from my knowledge you'd be totally fine.  It's literally a rams horn turned into an instrument.  Speaking personally I know that neither I nor any of my family would be offended by it.