Author Topic: Bow storage question  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Adam

Bow storage question
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
Hi all.  I may have missed if this has been discussed before, but I can't quite figure it out.  I have been told and read numerous times that storing a bow standing up with the lower limb on the floor (such as leaning in a corner) is not a good idea as it can twist or otherwise harm the limbs.  I've also been told it's perfectly safe to hang the bow vertically on a peg by the string (with the bow unstrung).  Wouldn't all the weight of the bow still be on the lower limb as if it was sitting on the floor?  What am I missing?  Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow storage question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »
I have bows that have hung for years with no ill effect. That's how I store all my bows. You can hang them vertically if you are worried but I don't think it will be a problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 12:21:20 pm »
Thanks Pat, it's great to get input from someone with so much first hand experience. I'm going to make a pegboard to store a couple bows. I'm not as worried about harming the bows as I am interested in understanding the difference.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:00:50 pm »
With a bow standing on one limb you not only have the weight of the bow on the tip but also a lateral pressure on the bottom limb that will eventually bends the limb towards the way it leans.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »
I hang all of my bows that way except the glass bows I shoot a lot. Those I hang strung.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:23:36 am »
I also hang mine, no problems, glass I hang vertical , even on both limbs, I never store any standing on the limb. :) Never had a real problem with self bows but have seen lots of glass bow that have been stored that way twist on the bottom limb. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:38:09 am »
Thanks guys! With so much work in a bow, I want to be sure I don't do anything stupid to mess it up!

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:19:51 am »
Hang em

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 03:32:06 am »
Mine all stand (but near vertical) lower limb resting on some plywood covered in carpet blocked up an inch or two off the floor.
I think the danger of leaning them is when a load of heavy junk gets leaned up against e'm. I can't really imagine that standing near vertical puts any bending stress on the bow. I have a thin lightweight chain which drapes across the front holding 'em all in place.

I think the great advantage of hanging them is that it keeps the strings in place.
I'll probably convert to hanging if I could find the space and I'd run out of other jobs to do ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:01 pm »
Thanks! Del, I don't think I'm careful or graceful enough to not knock them over.  Your chain suggestion is a good one.  I'm planning on on making a rack once deer season is over or I tag out (so in other words, when deer season is over).