Author Topic: saguaro rip arrows  (Read 3956 times)

Offline nashtburke1

saguaro rip arrows
« on: April 10, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »
i was wondering has anybody tried making  saguaro rib arrows and if so how did they turn out?
Dead sounds at night come from the inmost hills,
Like footsteps upon wool.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: saguaro rip arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:14:29 am »
If you are talking about saguaro cactus, I think that is a "bad".  The Feds frown on it immensely, as in illegal, it is a protected plant.  I may be wrong, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:21:43 pm »
Funny, I spent last week wandering around the Sonora desert and I thought about picking up some saguaro rib to use for tip overlays on limbs (with a lot of superglue topenetrate and stabilize).
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:43 am »
JW,
I will be down that way come June, will do more research, and if legal, I will just be collecting materials to quote Jack Crafty.  I did read some where the saguaro was protected, didn't mention deadwood, but I'm not sure
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:32 pm »
Plenty of 'em on private property, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Greybuff

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:51:02 pm »
Yes here in Arizona both the live saguaro and skeletons are protected. Some rare live ones are even protected on private property and can't be sold or moved from it's native location. The saguaro flower is the state flower. I would thoroughly check with several agencies about whether or not you can legally pick up individual ribs, but usually individuals are not in that great of shape.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:03 pm »
When I lived in the Phoenix Valley it was everywhere. I lived at the base of the Superstition Mtns. & I knew artists who carved and created sculpture out of the skeletons. All the neighbors picked up pieces for yard decorations. I've used them for knife handles along with the cholla skeletons. I also saw an artist use  them for picture frames. My understanding was you could use pieces / small amounts, just don't go loading up a truck or trailer.

That being said, I don't know anyone using them for arrows. John