Author Topic: That one arrow  (Read 2586 times)

Offline archeryrob

That one arrow
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:43 am »
Answer this, I make 11 arrows, 3 set as broad heads and 8 as target points. All arrows spined at 42# on a 55# D bow. All arrows shoot great except for the one rebel. It kicks funny coming off the bow and doesn't hit it. It shoot off to the side a few inches every time.

I've recheck spine, trueness, compared the fletching to the others and can't find a reason this one is different. It's sitting in the file holder in my office right now and I've consider cuttng the fletching off and bare shafting it again and refletchig it. I can field shoot it fine. It comes wobbling off the bow but stablizes in 30 yards and sails down the field still. Any ideas what cuases this, or should I just use it to start a fire?  ;D
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline High-Desert

Re: That one arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:18:22 am »
I will be no help here, but I have seen the exact same thing. A friend of mine made some arrows for a bow I made him, one of the arrows flew away from the gRoyo every time. We measured spine on both sides, balance point, weight, diameter, Everything that was measurable, and the arrows were about as identical as you can get, but the one wouldn't fly right. My theory based on no scientific evidence is that although spine the same, they may not bend at the same rate, but just bend to the same point when weight it applied. So when the spine weight it applied, one arrow deflects a half inch and takes ax amount of time, while the other arrow deflects a half in but does it in y amount of time. Just a theory tho........
Eric

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
Perhaps you have your cock vein on the wrong side of the arrow?  Either rotate the arrow 90 degrees and refletch ( and fix your nock to match ) or turn your fletching 180 degrees so the side that used to be away from the bow is now touching it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:48:02 am »
Id check your nock taper. Be sure its perfect just the same as the point taper. If you have spin checker, give it a spin and have a look.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:53:27 am »
I observed something for the first time in my archery life. My sons friend was over with his wheely bow about a week and a half ago. He wanted me to tune it for him, if it throws an arrow I can tune it with the best of em'. So I'm tweaking away with my Allen wrenches and we are close to done, but one arrow keeps kicking out and not straightening itself out. They are carbon, so they are matched and straight. Turns out one of the Blazer vanes was glued on about 1/4" farther ahead than the other two vanes. That's all it was, but you would have sworn it was bigger than that the way it flew all over hell. I stored that in my archery data bank.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
I'd also say to flip the arrow over(cock feather in) and try that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:46:31 am »
I do as Pat said, if that don't work I either break it/burn it or strip the feathers and bare shaft it, find the problem and reflech.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good