Author Topic: Brief review / Szimeiszter Hungarian / Magyar Horse Bow  (Read 4666 times)

Offline legend

Brief review / Szimeiszter Hungarian / Magyar Horse Bow
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:22:59 am »
Hello All ,
For all I am fairly new to Archery and bows in general , I thought I would share my views on my new recent purchase , a wood  Tri laminated Hungarian style Horse bow made in Hungary by a bowyer called Istvan Szimeiszter . Unfortunately I have no photos to add yet , but hope to upload some soon . My first and main interest in archery was actually trying my hand at making bows , so I started with a simple Flat bow made from Greenhart belly with a hickory back , I am now progressing onto making a one piece Elm recurve bow which will be my Winter project .
I have recently been doing a great deal of research into the history of the Euro-Asiatic Horse bow which I find fascinating , and so decided after looking at different suppliers and makers to send for a Hungarian  / Magyar style all wood Tri-Lam bow from a bowyer and former competitive archer who lives in Hungary called Istvan Szimeiszter , whos bows can be viewed on his facebook page or via a website called "Hungary Craft" who I think act as his selling agent and are an absolute pleasure to do business with .
The bow arrived after being ordered and made within around two weeks and although I do not have a great deal of experience with bows I have had a lot of experience with weapons ( Army training) and also  I used to make some decent quality scandanavian knives , so I have a good idea of what constitutes a well made piece of kit !
The bow itself has a really nice Black Walnut backing with another nice Cottonwood Root belly (He gives a choice of about six or seven different woods ) , the core wood which extends into the siyahs and swells at the handle  is , I think Ash and the three woods really compliment each other . I have to say the workmanship looks practically flawless and the bow itself weighs in nice and light at 500gms and feels really good in the hand . The bow string is Dacron and I was cheeky enough to ask for a back up string which he included . It comes in a decent quality protective material pouch to finish off .
The bows dimensions are as follows :
Length unstrung = 57 1/4"
Length strung =  54 3/4"
N to N = 51 3/8"
Brace height = 8 1/2"
I had it made to match a 26" draw pull length to a 40 lb pull weight
I have begun my Archery lessons and will look forward to eventually matching some arrows and actually shooting this bow . If like me horse bows are your thing , I think it is worth having a look at Szimeiszter bows and see what you think .
Thanks

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Brief review / Szimeiszter Hungarian / Magyar Horse Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:24 am »
we dunno talk fg bows here!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline legend

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »
They are not fibre glass

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:53 pm »
There is almost certainly clear glass over the laminations. There's only one or two guys I think who make and sell this design in a wood/bamboo based format and they generally also have sinew backing.

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:35:07 pm »
Cottonwood Root belly

where can I find more info about this?

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »
Nice bow, but are you sure it's all wood? The woods he uses suggest there's FG. A bow that short drawing that far would typically be made from either wood/horn/sinew or at least be made with "traditional bow woods", not cottonwood root, figured maple, zebrawood, etc as seen on the website. either way it's a nice bow.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline legend

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »
Hello Guys ,
I will bow to your experience and will check this out , but either way it does look and feel like a quality bow .
Thanks

Offline legend

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 02:55:30 pm »
Hello All ,
Yes you were right guys and I apologise for posting this thread on the forum , but it is a nice bow !

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
It is a nice bow. Shoot it and show it off :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 03:37:49 pm »
Go ahead and post it on around the campfire, fg is ok there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 04:54:43 pm »
Hello Guys ,
I will bow to your experience and will check this out , but either way it does look and feel like a quality bow .
Thanks

Check out  "medicine bows". for a wood/sinew bow of this type. Those are the best ones I have seen in this style.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 10:09:17 pm »
There are a lot of the Traditonal Horn Bow guys using thin lams of glass under the wood along with horn on the belly. I's a lot cheaper to make and the maintenance for a real Horn bow is easier for the owner, not counting the cost, which is usually in the $thousands.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 02:10:51 am »
It is definitely a glass bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 05:04:47 am »
I can't tell you how many times people have told me that they have a old wood bow they'd like me to look at. I always ask them are you sure it's not a fg laminate bow and their always sure it's not. I haven't seen one yet. Most people see the wood but not the fg.
I'm sure it's a nice bow. Like bubby said you can post it on the around the campfire spot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »
Real primitive Asian-style sinew-wood-horn composites are pretty pricy (and rightly so).
To give you an idea, visit the Saluki-bows site.

However, if you want to have the same feeling as with these bows, you could try the Grozer's bio-composites.
these are made with pressed sinew plate, pressed horn plate with glue and some other stuff. Its properties come mainly from sinew and horn, but the way they are manufactured is entirely different, more like GF-bows.
These bows are pretty affordable, and shoot very nicely.