Author Topic: Making fletchings  (Read 7162 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Making fletchings
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »
You need to come back.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 04:02:53 am »
You was supposed to keep that to yourself JW. ;) :) :) and yes you need to come back sometime. To each their own , but I prefer splitting and grinding them, simply because they are easier for me to deal with when putting on an arrow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:07:44 am »
As for a grinding clamp; I use a Jo-Jan straight fletching clamp with the fixture that holds it in the jig ground off. You can see it in this picture lying on my fletching table, I use it on a sanding block while fletching if I have a feather with an extra thick quill that needs a little thinning. I also use it if I cut my own fletching for shaping the quill on my belt sander.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »
Can you strip goose feathers?  I thought that only worked with turkey.  I havn't managed to accumulate enough goose feathers to try them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
You can strip any feathers if they are not too dry. If they are you can rehydrate them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:07 pm »
I have stripped macaw and parrot feathers, exotic owl feathers, English sparrow feathers, duck wing-pheasant-grouse.  If it is a feather, it all comes down to the feather not being too dried out/
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 01:31:50 pm »
OK, good to know.  Now I just need to remember to go out looking for molted goose feathers next June.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
OK, good to know.  Now I just need to remember to go out looking for molted goose feathers next June.

I mean, who is too proud to take free fletchings?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 10:17:03 am »
I like to throw the geese some wholegrain bread when I do collect feathers. Maybe I'm too proud,  but I feel I've done a good honest trade then.  :D

R.D.