Author Topic: String jumps off on release. HELP!!!  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: String jumps off on release. HELP!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:08 am »
I would alter the way the string sits in the nock slightly so that you don't have that curve leading up to the lip and you should have a good groove leading  up to the groove of the bridge
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 11:53:48 am »
After some heat correction last night, i went and shot it today. The correction made no difference. It wasnt much of ine anyway, the tips were only slightly off. So taking Dels idea of vibration into account I went with a heavier arrow. That did the trick. This biw doesnt like light weight arrows. It doesnt like a 390 grain but likes a 430 grain.  Heavier arrows tamed it down.

So, is that a limb timing thing, a quirky thing with the bow from its 7 inch long ( never doing that again ) levers, or something else?

Maybe it is a limb torque problem, and the heavier arrow allows the limbs to fix themselves before the string hits home. Or maybe the limbs have bad timing that I cant notice otherwise, and a heavier arrow stops the string from flopping sround on release?

Either way, the bow will get shot with a heavier arrow from now on.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
When you draw the bow does the string lift off both bridges at the same time?

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
No, they dont. One siyah is bent at a different angle than the other. I didnt notice that until it was too late and had glued all the side and belly laminations on. But, I tillered the bow that way, and it doesnt rock in my hand with a loose grip when drawn.  I tried to take that into account when tillering, but may have screwed it up anyways. So, its an asymetrical bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 02:42:38 pm »
I don't know if it means anything or not. I had one that lifted off unevenly during tillering but once I got the tiller looking good it had fixed itself. I just kind of assumed that with good tiller they would lift together. With one siyah being a different angle. Don't know. Maybe someone will.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:37 pm »
Sound like the string isn't hitting true on the brush nocks on the return.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
I meant bridges,something is out of line,
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 05:01:35 pm »
Is the string coming off on the draw or the release?some can be lost in text!lolo!

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
The string was jumping off after I shot the bow. The arrow would shoot, and the bow would eject the string. But now that I am shooting a heavier arrow there is no problem.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 07:12:33 pm »
Now you have to reverse engineer that and figure out why a heavy arrow works and a light arrow doesn't. You'll never reach 220fps with a heavy arrow ;D ;D ;D

Offline loon

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
does the string loop 'merge' at the bridge?

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:04 pm »
DC, I think Im just gonna leave it. This bow has been a project and I am calling it done. It really hits hard, so im calling it done. I wint be making anymore like that either. If I get a slow motion camera I may revist this but till then, ima let it throw arrows at a target.

Loon, the loops come togeather right before the bridge. Maybe 1/8 " before.

mikekeswick

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:59 am »
Hint - look at a Turkish bows tip. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 02:23:44 am »
If you hold the bow and string lightly as you let it down from full draw does the string come onto the bridges centrally?
Del
PS. I'm reluctant to call 'em "bridges" as I think they are more like grooves that true bridges which would IMO be wider.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:48 am »
If you hold the bow and string lightly as you let it down from full draw does the string come onto the bridges centrally?
Del
PS. I'm reluctant to call 'em "bridges" as I think they are more like grooves that true bridges which would IMO be wider.

They do seem rather narrow for 'bridges'.  I suspect that the culprit in the string ejection issue is the same thing that ill effects other very narrow bridges.  I'm talking about rope bridges that span a gorge.  Such bridges are plenty strong, but they tend to swing about a little wildly under a load.  Often causing a trip or fall.  I imagine you are correct in thinking the heavier arrows settle things down by slowing the speed of the string return.

I should say though, those brush nock/bridges look way more KEWL than the big clunky bridges I've often seen!  Some bridges look like an apparatus of some kind has been clamped onto the bow limb.  These are svelte, clean, and - dare I say it - Sleek!

OneBow