Author Topic: Plains style quiver and new killing sticks!  (Read 5379 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Plains style quiver and new killing sticks!
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:54:53 pm »
Well guy's Ive been really busy for a while (even though im still not working) Ive been breaking bows.  So I decided to hang up my draw knife and work on a new hunting set up. 
I've been wanting a Plains style quiver for a long time.  And I still plan to make one out of brain tan in the future.  But I put this one together out of some leather Ive had laying around for a couple of years. 
I was looking at pictures of quivers online to get ideas and ran accross one that a guy named Jim Thorne had on his bow building website.  He has a pdf download for the pattern and I thought it was a nice set up.  I went by his plans but tweeked them for what I wanted.  My leather was a kind of a bright tan color and a little stiffer than I thought it would be but still plenty soft for this style of quiver. So I dyed it dark brown and worked in a lot of tallo and beeswax mixture and I think it will be nice when its broken in.  Oh I should also say that the fur around the mouth of the quiver is coyote.

The arrows are from a batch that I got at from Andy at feathers and woods at mojam a couple of years ago.  They are a beautiful set of matched spin and weight arrows.  Spines are 51 to 52 and with the zawikie broadheads on the grain weight is from 678 to 680. The arrows were completely made by Andy,  all I did was cut them to size,  taper and add broadheads and a white maribou indicator.  I put some of the indicators on by the knocks and some in front of the fletchings.  They fly amazing out of my 52 pound sinew backed osage bow! Can't wait to sink them into a chest cavity!

If anyone wants the pattern for the quiver just shoot me a message and ill send you a link. 

Question,  any ideas on getting the "leather" smell out of my quiver for hunting? Spoke with JonW earlier and we came up with smoking it some.

Patrick

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:56:14 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Plains style quiver and new killing sticks!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:09 pm »
Nice work, Patrick.
 You could try Montana Pitch Blend. It's made with mink oil, bees wax and pine pitch or you could make your own leather treatment. The smells of the ingredients should cover the leather smell. Hunt with the wind in your favor and it doesn't matter.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:19:45 pm »
Looks great
Pardon my ignorance, but, What are the indicators for?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:45:19 pm »
Thanks Pat your right about the wind for sure,  but I like to have every advantage I can over these wiley whitetails! I may try your Montana pitch blend.  That's a good idea. 

Morgan, thanks!
The indicators work a few ways for me.  When I'm sitting they make a good wind indicator because they are made of goose down. When you shoot them they are easy to see in flight and can let you know about your shot placement.  Kinda like one of those illuminated knocks the wheel bow guys use.  They also will show your blood sign on your arrow,  that is if it goes all the way through or your arrow fall out.  That's the idea anyways. 

Patrick 

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:41 am »
Nice quiver and arrows Patrick.Good amount of weight on those babies.I've heard those indicators called tracers before too.They are nice.Especially if the light is getting dim during a shot.Good luck hunting bud.
I think you'll just have to use the crap out of that quiver and let it air out some....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:24:56 am »
Nice looking quiver. Good work

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 08:12:08 am »
great quiver and arrows
regarding the indicator/tracers arent they making you more visible to the game?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:55 am »
Excellent work Patrick. The stitching and detail look great.  Seems like a very useable design.  Nice bullets too, Andy does great work.
  Have you noticed any difference in the way they fly regarding the tracers in front or behind the fletchings?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:38:26 am »
I guess the tracers could theoretically make me more visiable but I would say no more than trying to draw on a deer that is 10 yards away.

Thanks Aaron,  yes he does.  Probably the most closely matched set of arrows Ive ever seen. 
As far as the tracer position,  I really haven't noticed any difference.  These are the first ones I've put on in front of the fletchings.  They seam to shoot the same to me.  The ones by the knocks seam to get in my way once in a while.  I normally place the fletchings a little further down to give me more room for my fingers and the indicator. 

Patrick

Offline gifford

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 01:56:06 pm »
Nicely done Patrick. The design and execution are top shelf.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:39 pm »
Thanks a bunch gifford! I really appreciate it buddy!

Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 09:47:19 pm »
Patrick, deer are aware of movement not colors or shades. If you're not waving the fletch end of the arrow at the deer it will not be noticed. I like using tracers, especially when using natural feathers. Are your's rabbit fur or marabou feathers?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 11:01:34 am »
Patrick,
The already finished leather may lose the smoke smell.  Not real sure about what cover herbs you have wild there anymore, but I would grind some to put into the rub.  Out here, we would use sage, as it is the native cover plant.  Sassafras has a nice smell, and is native to you.  You would probably have to apply the rub occasionally no matter whatnot use.  Will pm you re: the pattern link.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
Yeah Pat your right I really don't think it bother the deer at all.  The indicators are marabou.  I like them better than rabbit. 

Hawkdancer,  Ill try that with the herbs.  But after last night and today's hunt I don't think it matters to much.  Last night I had a 6 point and 2 does at 15 yards (No shot at all)  today I screwed up my chance at a nice 7 pointer at about 18 yards (caught me moving my leg to get in position). None of the deer winded me even though they were both down wind.  I use a comercial scent cover that is secented in natural earth.  Plus the extra doe estrus I had out may have been why. 

I'll send you the link Hawk!

Patrick

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:30:13 am »
Patrick that really looks nice.