Author Topic: Fixed crawl?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Fixed crawl?
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:00:53 am »
Has anybody ever set their selfbow (or sinew backed bow) to shoot with a fixed crawl? If so, what did you do differently?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fixed crawl?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:10:48 pm »
Are you talking about a caul(form)? I use a caul when adding reflex with heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:24:00 pm »
You mean tillering it so it works best with a fixed crawl?

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:32:12 pm »
OK, I'll bite, what's a fixed crawl?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:01:25 pm »
OK, I'll bite, what's a fixed crawl?

I Googled it. It's like string walking with a fixed setting. Looks like an idea.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:44:47 am »
I had to do a bit of research on this to find out what it was. It's a technique of shooting where you hold the string below the arrow at a given point where you can place the arrow point on target and hit that point. This obviously only works with certain ranges. It looks like it's trial and error until you get the correct holding point. I have never tried it.
When you ask if anyone has set there bow up this why, do you mean tiller the bow? If so, it would be just a matter of having the draw point be the point of a balanced tiller. A bow tillered for a normal way of shooting that was shot with a fixed crawl would draw unbalanced, not that it can't be done. 
Eric

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 07:12:21 am »
 Eric,
          Join the discussion here or enjoy the read...http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61842.0.html
                                                                                                           Opposite side camp,

Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:29 am »
I have tried fixed crawl. As far as i am concerned it is very accurate within regular hunting ranges. only done it with my glass longbow though