Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Tiller check
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:15:00 pm »
I started this hickory holmgaardish-flatbow 2 years ago but stopped when it was determined that it was starting to chrysal near the plugged hole. Refusing to believe this stave didn't want to be a bow, I started sanding around the troubled area and re-evaluated the chrysal as being a couple growth rings. Anyway...it is now pulling 28 pounds at 17". I feel ok with the tiller so far given wonky bend in the limbs. Any advice is appreciated.
Photos are at 3" brace, 13" draw and 17" draw.
Thanks
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 01:10:21 pm »
Thumbs up for not giving up! Apart from the wonkyness I would suggest you make both limbs bend more mid limb. I am not sure how much holmegaard/mollegabet you want to go but you may need to get the outers bending also. Do not touch the parts next to the handle anymore.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:41:54 pm »
Thanks Leon, I'll keep you posted how it turns out.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:48 pm »
Could we see the front profile so we know where the levers start? Looks like the outers need to bend more, but like Leon said, I'm not sure how much lever you got there.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:18:22 am »
To me it it looks like all the bend is straight out of the fade and none in mid limb.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 02:34:27 pm »
Here are a couple updated photos. I've reduced mid-limb and out to the tips. Its bending much more evenly but probably could use a little more tweeking.
Brace is 4"; first image is draw 26# at 17" draw; second image is 31# at 20" draw.
Length is 70"ttt, 1 7/8" wide at the fades.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:50:41 pm by Hrothgar »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »
 Right outer needs to move more to relieve tension on that wonky area...Hickory is tough but will take set quickly...Hit them outers now....
                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:57 pm »
Thanks Don. I can see it now.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:34 pm »
           Looking forward to the final bend in that Hickory stick... :BB (SH)
                                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 01:59:05 pm »
After taking some off the outer limbs, especially the wonky one, I'm posting two more images. The first is at 20" and doesn't look too bad, the second is at 22" and seems to have a drastic bend from the knot out. I'm wondering if more needs to be taken from the tip, or what needs more attention.
As always, advice is welcome. The weight is pretty much on target right now.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 02:30:19 pm »
  Great improvement from last set of pics...Left limb looks awesome...Take a few scrapes off right limb at the area between the broom and the knot and exercise plenty between scrapes...Looking great...
   Don't forget to flip it around and view from the other side also as you pull it on the tree...sometimes it will help... :BB   Just my 2 cents...
                                                         Don

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 02:35:30 pm »
  Great improvement from last set of pics...Left limb looks awesome...Take a few scrapes off right limb at the area between the broom and the knot and exercise plenty between scrapes...Looking great...
   Don't forget to flip it around and view from the other side also as you pull it on the tree...sometimes it will help... :BB   Just my 2 cents...
                                                         Don

+1

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 06:11:39 pm »
                                                         Don

+1 Don,and who ever said cluttering up the background on a picture is no good......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed