Author Topic: Favorite smoking woods?  (Read 9113 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Favorite smoking woods?
« on: October 28, 2017, 07:26:50 pm »
I just made a smoker out of a big clay pot and I'm loving it. Wondering what some of your favorite woods are for smoking cause I'm in the experimentation phase.  -C- So far I like...

Oak for pork
Cherry and HHB for trout  )F(

Oops. I just realized there's a cooking board. Admins, please feel free to move this thread.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Favorite smoking woods?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
Apple, my favorite for most things. We are on separate coasts, anyhow, Vine maple, Red alder, Big leaf maple.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
I don't have a smoker but I do all my grilling over osage coals.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 10:50:20 pm »
Peach!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:05:32 pm »
For meat - hickory, Apple, cherry, and peach.  For hides - Apple, cherry, oak, ash, hickory, peach, any nut tree, but make sure it is cool smoke.  Run it through a long more or less horizontal stack.  I prefer wood, but good charcoal works, too.  It is sometimes hard to get the fruit wood, and oak and hickory are hard to come by out here.  Enjoy!; I just recently got a big smoker, have gone through 2 20 lb bags of charcoal, cooking meat.  Don't care much for mesquite, personally, just my opinion; other folks swear by it.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:14 am »
That makes 2 for peach. We do have peach trees up here so I'll have to see if I can find some. Thanks guys!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:50 am »
Guava and Tamarind for everything that is meat. Not using a smoker but rather a clay pot with a wire mesh (don’t know what the heck it’s called). This is in the Philippines by the way.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 07:31:48 am »
Good old hickory usually.Cool that you made your own clay smoker.We smoke deer and pork occasionally.Excellent flavor alone or even put back in a crock pot to make everything else taste very good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »
It was a cinch to make Ed. Smoked venison sounds awesome. I love the smell of your brain-tanned deer leather. You use hickory for that?

Caught this guy today and he's in the smoker now with some cherry wood.  -C-

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stoner

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:28:37 pm »
Any fruit wood and or nut wood. Since I moved to OK. been using pecan and hickory. If I do use mesquite (AZ), only one or two chucks. John

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:08:38 am »
Haven't done any smoking for years but Apple, Plum, Cherry and Maple were some of my favorites

I will move this to the Cooking forum
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 07:43:18 am »
Jeff....I've got an old sheet metal box with racks in it and a thermometer on the door.Use charcoals and wet hickory chunks on top of that.Can actually hot cook smoke heat in there.I'm sure you could with yours too and can see why you would like your clay smoker too.That trout looks awesome bud.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »
Normally use apple for fish and chicken, alder for salmon/trout, plum maple cherry hickory for pork, oak for beef.. Blends can be good also..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 07:55:12 am »
I've been using red maple lately since we had a few limbs come down in the yard.  It lends a mild sweet smoke, not real strong like hickory (which I love BTW).  Maple works real nice with pork and chicken, but with beef hickory is about all I use.  Mesquite is good too if you can find it, but it's not native near me, so not used very often.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
Sid, I never tried maple before, but I've got a bunch so I'll be sure to give it a go soon enough.

Stoker, I've heard alder is great for trout. What's the flavor like? It's around here, usually growing near water.

Nigerian Proverb