Author Topic: The rut  (Read 2128 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
The rut
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:03:39 am »
Seems the first esterus cycle of the does here in my area[I say in my area because it can be different in different areas] is close to being done.Seeing lots of does with no bucks now.Read up on it a bit and the next may be in around 4 weeks.Still plenty of does around though and maybe a few the bucks have missed doe or two.Had my opportunities though.Seen a total of around 9 different bucks in the area from the stand.Two of which were large fine looking animals.Might get to see a new traveler type buck come through yet too though.Most times those are pretty large bucks.
I wanted colder and now I've got it....lol.Still working the odds though.Time to try and just plain make meat now too with a doe.I have to be very conscience of any over hunting in any area of my small area of only 25 to 30 acres of woods.
Good luck to those out there yet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:06:59 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The rut
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:11:57 am »
It is just now starting to warm up in my area.  I've seen a couple of bucks checking and chasing does.  It should really be good hunting in a couple of days. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 02:23:30 pm »
Things are heating up here in KY too......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:14:45 am »
It's going here in Mid-Michigan. Thursday afternoon, a Buddys Son had a Buck cover a Doe 40yds from His stand. Then they bedded down almost til dark - He wasn't going to leave Her  ;). The next two days He saw various different Bucks passing thru, on the "Hunt"  :-D :OK ! Yesterday a Friends Wife got a Doe on a special permit on a Federal Mngt. area in the morning - then a NICE 8pt. on thier own place last nite. It's on like Donkey Kong Guys -  (SH). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:24 am »
Yes for about a week prior the action was fast and furious with bucks chasing does everywhere.I might have spoken too soon though.I'm out every day most times twice a day in the stand.Did see a nice 8 point buck this morning though looking for love.
Usually in this area late october to early november is the hot time.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed