Author Topic: Draw Knives  (Read 7490 times)

Offline bentstick54

Draw Knives
« on: October 31, 2017, 05:24:29 pm »
Can a draw knife be too sharp for working Osage?

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Draw Knives
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »
I've never encountered a draw knife that was too sharp for working osage. Why do you ask?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:33:37 pm »
I'm the same as Eric.  I like a sharp one for chasing rings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
  I doubt they can be too sharp, have you got the bevel down when you are working?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:49:38 pm »
There are two types of draw knives.  Where the handles are parallel with the flat side of the blade, you MUST use it bevel side up.  Where the handles are at a different angle, then you MUST work the tool bevel side down.  Confused the heck out of me when I had a draw knife of one style and a buddy had one of the other style until both ended up on the workbench side by side.

Frankly, if I can split frog hairs with mine, it is just about sharp enough! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:52:49 pm »
   I used to think mine was somewhat dull because I didn't sharpen it very often. Till I bumped myself with it and it slice me like a razor, they hold an edge forever it seems.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:03:14 pm »
I have just heard that some people like them sharp and others not so sharp. I have two that I keep reasonably sharp and like them that way. I occasionally touch them up with a whetstone. I recently picked up a Work Sharp electric sharpener that I think I could put a razor sharp edge on them if I tried. Just wasn’t sure if sharp is sharp enough, or if you could get them to sharp.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:09 pm »
JW, with all due respect, my draw knife handles are parallel to the flat side of the blade, and it absolutely doesn't work well bevel side up, but works wonderfully well with the bevel down.  I think you have to try it both ways and see what works for you.  As for sharpness, I prefer to keep mine as sharp as possible, but I have seen some people who like to debark and somehow chase a ring with a dullish blade.  When I chase a ring, I remove the late wood with my draw knife and take off the soft early wood with a cabinet scraper.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »
   I used to think mine was somewhat dull because I didn't sharpen it very often. Till I bumped myself with it and it slice me like a razor, they hold an edge forever it seems.

I agree.  I remove a lot of Osage bark and sapwood each year.  I have never sharpened my draw knife but it will slice a finger open just like Badger said. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyones thoughts. I have kept mine what I consider sharp, but could maybe get them “shaving sharp”. Was just wondering if it is possible to go to far.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:24 am »
I have two. One as sharp as I can get it and the other with the edge knocked off. I've only chased a few rings but I used the sharp one for that. I use the dull(ish) one for removing bark on Ocean Spray and Doug Maple.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:52:28 am »
My drawknife is sharp and I use it bevel up. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:44 pm »
I'd say yes especially on thin ringed osage..a duller blade seems to scrape the early wood just as good as sharp with less chance of violation... IMO..

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 02:22:26 pm »
 I have 3 draw knifes on the bench one 1 I keep razor sharp another razor sharp with a different bevel angle & 1 that is dull I use as a scraper I have a leather strap & jewelers rouge that I often stop and re sharpen I don't think a draw knife could be to sharp  a sharp one at a skew will tare out less !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:40:00 pm »
I think the whole point of a drawknife is that you can use it:-
1. Bevel up
2. Bevel Down
3. Draw it towards you.
4. Push it away.
5. push/pull it straight
6. push/Pull it at an angle.
7. Keep one handle held still braced onto your thigh and just work the other handle for fine control.
8. Hold it with the face of the blade vertical so it becomes a scraper and draw it towards you.
It is a very versatile tool and can be used in all sorts of ways, from ripping off great swathes of wood to the finest shavings.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.