Author Topic: Draw Knives  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Draw Knives
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 02:53:39 pm »
I think the whole point of a drawknife is that you can use it:-
1. Bevel up
2. Bevel Down
3. Draw it towards you.
4. Push it away.
5. push/pull it straight
6. push/Pull it at an angle.
7. Keep one handle held still braced onto your thigh and just work the other handle for fine control.
8. Hold it with the face of the blade vertical so it becomes a scraper and draw it towards you.
It is a very versatile tool and can be used in all sorts of ways, from ripping off great swathes of wood to the finest shavings.
Del

That's true, I use mine every which way, I used a double bevel knife for most of the years I was building bows. I always start somebody new bevel down just because they can get into less trouble. I always use mine bevel down when chasing a final ring as well but I know you can do it bevel up because I used to do it that way.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 03:30:11 pm »
JW and Jeff, I disagree with both of you. I have drawknives whose handles are parallel with the flat side, and some that are angled, some perpendicular to the cutting surface, and some angled out, and I've used them all, upside right and upside down, as the needs arise. I use em with the flat side down for 95% of the work, but with the bevel down when I need to... I just use what works best... and there are no "alls" about it related to their handle angles.

I agree with Gutpile that a sharp, but slightly less sharp, drawknife is better than a freshly honed one for the final chase of an osage ring... or the entire chase... on the super thin ones... but even then, they'll cut me like a good fillet knife if I get flesh in the way.

Generally, I keep all of them sharp, but since I don't abuse them, don't pry or scrape with them or allow other steel to touch them, they require minimal maintenance... an occasional brush with a fine diamond impregnated card.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
How do you guys sharpen your draw knife
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »
  I sharpen mine with a good file.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 06:02:57 pm »
Many ways to skin a cat i guess. I've taken a good smooth cut file to my drawknives once each, if needed, when I first got them, then to a sharpening stone, then diamond hone. I've only had one of them long enough to need to bring the file back to it again and it's over 20 years old.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
I do use mine both bevel up, and bevel down. Mostly bevel down though. I agree with Del, that the two I have have been used about every way you can. I use them for hogging off wood, chasing the final ring, and as a scraper.

Offline Julian

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »
I sharpen my draw knife with an old knife stone. I brace one handle on my chest and hold the other and run the stone across the bevel.

Offline cadet

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 06:59:03 pm »
Nice and sharp, single bevel, bevel up, drawn towards me is the way I use them.

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
I've only ever used a typical drawknife with handles clearly designed to only be used bevel up. Trying to use a drawknife upside down feels about like using an axe with the handle put on upside down in the eye must feel.

I can't really envision a scenario where it would be beneficial.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 07:10:23 pm »
My grandfather always told me there was no reason to own a knife if it was dull. There are other tools to use for scraping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline willie

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:19 am »
I like them pretty sharp and use bevel up most of the time and as Del said I use it all kinds of ways. I think like a lot of hand tools, it is all what you get use to. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:54 am »
    I am really glad to hear so many people are using bevel up. I have been treating it like a closet activity because so many have told me I was using it wrong over the years. If I find a piece of wood where I am having trouble with it digging in too much I just flip it over to bevel down.

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:29 am »
I think they are designed to be used bevel up.  I've never seen a makers mark on the flat side.  Seems to me they want the mark facing up at the user.  That's why it's on the bevel side.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:55 pm »
I have to expand my horizons and attain more open mindedness, at least according to my youngest daughter. She's known me now for 36 years. LOL. Not gonna happen. 

I've never used a drawknife bevel down though I have used them as scrapers.

I guess that is a step in the right direction.

But gotta say using it bevel down, to me, is akin to using a screwdriver as a chisel.
Ok. Guess I've done that too. I was on my knees and did not feel like getting up to get a chisel. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!