Author Topic: Draw Knives  (Read 7492 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Draw Knives
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 03:00:15 am »
+1 bevel up crowd not saying it's the only way but I was taught from a master wood carver that all hand edge tools are designed to be used bevel up razor sharp & used at a skew to avoid tare out  with the exception of plane blades it's works for me same with chisels & gauges but it's like any thing working with wood , do what ever works best for you !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 03:04:20 am »
I think they are designed to be used bevel up.  I've never seen a makers mark on the flat side.  Seems to me they want the mark facing up at the user.  That's why it's on the bevel side.
That's not really valid logic... many things have a makers name on the base like plates, pots and pans etc.
I was going to say underwear too, but kids today have 'em with the label showing >:( and half their ass too.
Just sayin'  O:)
Del
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:17:24 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:37 am »
There is no right 'answer' to which way up. It depends on bevel angle and handle angle and the job being done. Simple :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 08:05:38 am »
        I find when I am working fast and hogging off wood but don't want to risk a tear out bevel down seems to work better for me especially on osage. If I am tillering with the draw knife I am usually bevel up. Elm and yew and hickory I usually end up working bevel up or sometimes going back to my rasp. All my handles are the same angle as the blade.

Being retired I seldom use my band saw to rough them out anymore because I really need the exercise much more than I need another bow. I use one of two methods depending on how the grain matches up on both sides of the bow. The faster more intelligent method is I run a black line down each side where I want to cut to and then take each side down to the line and then remove the high spot in the middle. My most enjoyable method is to simply remove the belly wood one ring at a time until it start to flex. Not a huge difference either way. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:11 am »
Well said by Mike and Steve.I believe to do what feels comfortable and in control in bow making or what works for yourself.The more you use it the more finesse you can get with it.I started out bevel down and still do it that way.Used it bevel up too.Also use it as a scraper.I personally leave the middle section unsharpened and the outside 2" on each end a little sharper.
My draw knife has a slight arch in the center of the blade and is'nt a straight blade.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 11:33:47 am »
Stickbender, yes, if you vary the angle of attack you can cut some rough (steep) and very fine (low) shavings. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 06:39:08 pm »
How do you guys sharpen your draw knife

Use a good single cut file draw file and lay it flat on the bevel.  Clear the filings from the file between strokes and go slowly.  Once you have a single bevel the whole edge of the blade from side to side, use an Arkansas stone or diamond hone to touch it up a little here and there.  If the steel is properly hard, it will only rarely need to be honed a little here and there.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 09:28:31 am »
This reminds me of Dr. Sues Butter Battles lol

Me myself don't really have a certain side depends on the wood I'm using and also what I'm trying to accomplish

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 09:56:26 am »
I sharpen my draw knives with a med. stone. I keep the same angle as I take my passes. The I flip it over and keeping the stone flat against the knife, i take a few more swipes.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!