Author Topic: Brain tanning alternatives?  (Read 8254 times)

Offline clewis

Brain tanning alternatives?
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:06:06 pm »
I went to the butcher shop to pick up my order and there was a pile of deer hide waiting for me nine to be exact and one full moose hide. So trouble is Ive only ever made buckskin using brains and need a brain substitute. Anyone have some simple recipes that work as good as brains?
 Average temperature outside is -7c so hides are in the shed for now, Ill start working them tomorrow.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Brain tanning alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:46:06 pm »
Clewis, I have used a dozen farm eggs and also used  soy lechthin that I bought at health food store. I like the soy it doesn't spoil in warm weather like brains, have also heard of someone using soap and oil, do a goggle search and get the details. Bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:13:27 pm »
you can buy brains.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 12:56:52 am »
Sourdough starter with some oil added works, too.  Not sure how much oil.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 01:22:09 am »
Man I used to hunt with used mayonnaise on some coon hides and they turned out ok.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »
plan ole Mayo
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »
I use egg yolks. Seems to work quite well.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »
Can't resist this >:D.  Save leftover starter, eggs, yolks, add more flour, salt, water to make stiff dough, let raise, mold into loaf pan, bake at 400F 1hr.  Serve warm with honey!  Or ham and mayo! >:D. The devil made me do it!   Will post full recipe on Cooking thread!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:48:21 pm »
4 oz bar ivory soap
grate 1/3 into bucket

1/2 gallon hot water- stir soap until dissolved, then pour 50 ml pure olive oil and stir till foamy.

Put your hide in it for buckskin
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline clewis

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 08:28:18 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I lucked out and was given some deer brains and also found a butcher 300miles away willing to save me some brains. I want to try the soap mixture but ive ive read ivory soap leaves a soapy odor even after smoking. Im wondering if a scentless soap would address that?
Thanks much.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:03 pm »
Clewis, I am going to attempt to say what I believe is correct. The soap makes the olive oil an emulsified oil, which means it will "blend with water". The oil in brains is a naturally occurring emulsified oil. Makes sense because the body is like 60-70% water. The oil mixing with water allows it to pass through and coat the fibers in a hide. Neatsfoot oil actually sells an emulsified oil and taxidermy shops will offer different brands. For a brain tan hide all you need is an oil that will blend with water and squeeze it through the hide and then smoke it. This may give some new ideas or other avenues to follow.  Good Luck

Had to look it up but Sulphinated Oil is also a emulsified oil
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:32:13 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:13 pm »
Learn something new everyday!!  Those oils are a lot easier than cooking brains, and a lot more conducive to keeping the pother half happy - unless you are making her a new dress >:D!  Most any water soluble non- petroleum oil?  Have to try that, got some antelope (pronghorn) hides that need working.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:12:53 am »
another vote for eggs.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 06:54:38 pm »
I've done up one fox with the ivory soap and olive oil. Worked well, but has a slimy feel while working the hide until it's dry. I typically use egg yokes though.

Kyle

Offline johnnieyost

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:24:32 pm »
We have Chronic Wasting Disease here so it's not a good idea to use brains for tanning. Doesn't matter though, lecithin is the active ingredient in brains. I buy mine in a little tub, it comes in yellow granules. You just dissolve them in warm water until no more granules will dissolve, then use it just like you would brains. I've been doing it this way for about 20 years. Works great.