Author Topic: Ruined a perfectly good bow.  (Read 2398 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Ruined a perfectly good bow.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 03:09:50 am »
Had the same thing on a little laurel bow, cyano sorted it, didn't need a wrap or veneer but I monitored the repair carefully the first few times I strung it

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:32:53 am »
I recurve a lot of hickory and anticipate it cracking so I leave it fairly thick, way thicker than what I am planning on for a finished thickness that way I can work down through the cracks and splinters and still have enough meat to get a bow.  Boiling for at least an hour and using clamping a strip of sheet metal to it while you bend is also a good precautionary step.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 12:08:42 pm »
Finished bending the limbs and got the CA glue in the crack. I have a friend that is responsible for most of my bow staves. His house looks like bass pro inside and he said he’d like to have this bow to leave strung hanging on his wall. He cannot draw a bow due to injury and understands that if I finish it for him no one needs to draw it. Since it’s going to be hanging on a wall, I’d like to doll it up a bit. On the patch, ca glue 2 tin epoxy, or titebond? I want to thread wrap the patch, what glue do I impregnate the thread with. I know CA can turn white.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 12:28:32 pm »
It's not a good idea to display a strung bow. Not only is it not good for the bow but someone will want to draw it of just do it so there is potential for someone to get hurt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 12:47:41 pm »
well I will take full responsibility for you having so much fun working on that bow,, seems like you got resolved and patched back together,,,next time you will do better on the bending,, I cracked a curve a few weeks ago and put a underlay on it, works fine and looks ok too,, shoot it a few times before it goes on the wall,, should shoot nice,, )P(

Offline Morgan

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »
well I will take full responsibility for you having so much fun working on that bow,, seems like you got resolved and patched back together,,,next time you will do better on the bending,, I cracked a curve a few weeks ago and put a underlay on it, works fine and looks ok too,, shoot it a few times before it goes on the wall,, should shoot nice,, )P(
Ha! I am having fun. Doing things that I haven’t before, and haven’t had the guts to try lol.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 01:09:17 pm »
So, I was looking at some cane in the corner. Split some sections between nodes and peeled the outer fibers off. Turns out it is thin and hell for stout. Think I’m going to use this laid side by side for the belly patch

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
Well got her wrapped up. Laid a little brown paper down and the cane fiber on top. I’ll pull the nylon cord off in a few and Hope she holds.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 02:35:05 pm »
 Patches seem to have took, brought the fades back. Will feather the patches and put a string on her Wednesday and see if I can get her to bend.