Author Topic: Bow wood advice, again.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Julian

Bow wood advice, again.
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:53 pm »
So I decided I'll take a trip out to a timber supplier who has a bit better stock than I have available locally.

The bow woods I can get are american cherry, white oak, white ash, maple, and European beech.

What should I come home with?? I'm looking for something that's pretty, and unlikely to break on me, lol.

Offline Morgan

Re: Bow wood advice, again.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »
Toughest of that bunch will be white oak in my opinion. Takes a stain well too. Grain is key though. 8

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »
I would pass on the cherry and beech.depends on the species of maple?if it's sugar maple it will make a good bow!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Julian

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:39:05 pm »
I would pass on the cherry and beech.depends on the species of maple?if it's sugar maple it will make a good bow!

All it said was 'American Hard Maple' Acer Saccharinum, also known as silver maple. according to google.

EDIT: Scratch that. it's 'acer saccharum', which is sugar maple.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:43:02 pm by Julian »

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 01:43:41 am »
White oak is tough but my favourite out of those is maple by a long way. Heat treated maple makes a great bow. straight grain, straight grain, straight grain.......;)

Offline Julian

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:58:28 am »
Maple it is, cheers.
I'll post again when I get my hands on some.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 02:55:21 am »
Sugar maple is diffuse porous and doesn't handle much grain violation very well.pretty much goes off like a bomb when pushed to far.white oak is more forgivng.but is low in compression,like ash as well.both like a deep heat treating.with trapped backs.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 04:20:22 am »
Sugar Maple is a great wood Im working with it now but it can be a little compression weak but with the right design it makes a fast bow never tried white oak but some around here like it !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Julian

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 05:22:38 am »
Sugar Maple is a great wood Im working with it now but it can be a little compression weak but with the right design it makes a fast bow never tried white oak but some around here like it !

What would you recommend. Trapped belly?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 05:44:09 am »
Mike in the above post recomended heat treating he has worked maple more then me , but I made a maple bow that was to short for the draw it was a sweet fast bow one of my favorites at about 1200 or better arrows it freeted I detuned it to 35 lb and still shooting but had I made it longer it would have probably not fretted , if I where making another I would make sure I had good length for a self bow of my draw , dont get me wrong I love maple one of my favorites its just one of those woods that needs the right design with enough length in a self bow !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 06:31:32 am »
Most important is the grain orientation. You want the grain running full length with few is any grain runoffs, both on the back, ends and along the sides. If possible you should go through the stacks and hand pick the best piece you can get. Be sure to re-stack better than you found it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:04 am »
trapped back not belly.best to look for rift sawn lumber

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 04:02:07 pm »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, just a short question, in your opinion wich is bether for a backing hard maple or white oak?

Offline Julian

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
trapped back not belly.best to look for rift sawn lumber

Thanks for the tips

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:27 am »
Maple also takes glue of all kinds very well for raw hide or sinew, flax etc.