Author Topic: Hickory Or Elm For Recurve?  (Read 982 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Hickory Or Elm For Recurve?
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:30 am »
I have a hickory stave and an elm stave. Both of them are 60" long. I wanted to make a static recurve bow with one of them. My question is are these staves too short for a stiff handle recurve bow? What about a bending handle recurve bow? Any thoughts? I'm trying to get 45# @ 28"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Or Elm For Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:33 am »
I've made both and my best was elm. 60" static recurve with heat treated belly and slightly bendy handle, 55#@26"
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:59 am »
I have made both and I think the hickory bows have more punch.  I always boil the hickory to get them ready for bending rather than steam them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 07:48:31 am »
I agree that wet heat is better than dry heat for bending recurves. I used dry heat and experiences cracking when I bent the recurves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WoodBenderDW

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:16:19 am »
Greenriverwoodcraft was that a bending handle recurve bow or a stiff handle recurve bow? Pat B you make amazing bows and I really respect the work that you do. Do either of you have pictures of the static recurve that you made out of elm or hickory?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:22:59 am »
All of my pics were lost to Photobucket and at the same time my computer crashed taking my back ups. I wish I did still have them. I lost 106 pages of pics with the PB crap.