Author Topic: Wiggly Yew Branch  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Wiggly Yew Branch
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:32 pm »
That is one heck of a nice looking bow.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:38 am »
Outstanding - love those "Squiggly" ones  :BB  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 05:29:08 am »
Jesus, it's completely symmetrical! Nice work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:53 am »
DC, this bow shows just how much you've learned is such a short time. Job well done on an excellent snaky bow.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 11:15:14 am »
Thanks for all the nice comments. This is one of those staves that just wanted to be a bow. Other than being a bit weak and having to splint the belly everything just fell into place. When I glued on the recurves it went just perfect so I had no string problems with them. Even when I bent the handle a bit for alignment the string still dropped right into the slot. I sure wish I knew what I did right. ;D I was originally thinking that I would shorten the recurves but because the string behaved I left them big. I had bridges on it during construction but I took them off. The symmetry of the limbs really surprised me when I braced it. It sure didn't look symmetrical when I cut it. If I had left the original stick round and made a bendy(ish) handle I think I would have got 40# without messing with it. Would have made a nicer looking bow too, I think.
Again, thanks for the nice comments
Don

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »
Wow that thing wiggles in every direction! And to make it even harder you put those recurves on! That is serious stuff, great bow!

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:36:06 pm »
DC, this bow shows just how much you've learned is such a short time. Job well done on an excellent snaky bow.   :OK

Thanks Pat but I still feel like I'm floundering a lot of the time. Much to learn, not much time ;D

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »
That turned out awesome Don! Really like the wiggly ones. I always look for good branches like that. Cheers- Brendan

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 04:24:05 pm »
That's a cool looking bow. Will surely turn some heads.

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 03:40:40 pm »
Wow, amazing work. How long did you stare at that stave before getting up the nerve to tackle it?
It strikes me as funny how much your limbs look like the fancy schmancy black swan wave recurve. They did all that R&D and came up with a carbon fiber character bow, when they could've been using wiggly yew branches all along. Does yours have a special nonlinear force/draw curve too??   ;D

Offline Weylin

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »
That's amazing, Don! You really nailed it.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:10 pm »
Nice, you made a shooter out of it! When it went in the truck with us I figured it to be firewood lol! Good job!
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:48 am »
Very nice, love it. :)  Looks like the tiller couldn't be better. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 10:56:02 am »
Nice, you made a shooter out of it! When it went in the truck with us I figured it to be firewood lol! Good job!
It was too small for firewood and I don't grow tomatoes so I had to make a bow with it ;D ;D