Author Topic: Another Question  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Another Question
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:23:13 am »
One of the tips on my stave has a check that doesn’t go all the way through. If I make the tips work, then they may disappear or be very shallow. If that is the case, what should I do? Add a rawhide wrap, bind, or put a belly lam? If worse comes to worse, I’ll cut it off and have a 46 inch stave instead of 49. I’ll post pics tomorrow when there’s some daylight left here.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Another Question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:15:20 am »
What I've done in the past is put on an overlay. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:16 am »
Does the crack go with the grain?  If so, I'd add super glue and later add an overlay. Generally checks(drying crack running with the grain) don't adversely affect a bow unless it runs off the side.  I built a bow a few years ago for Josh Barnes that had laid on the ground for over 15 years and was checked to heck. I probably used at least a tube of super glue to fill the checks. Maybe if Josh see's this he will post pics of that bow. All of my pics were lost to Photobucket.
 If the crack runs across the grain, you'll have to eliminate it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Julian

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:31:46 pm »
One nice thing I think with overlays is you can taper the back of the tip, you might be able to completely take out the check that way.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:05:20 am »
George and Julian
I’ll see if that will work but the crack runs for 3 inches
Pat B
Tje crack is with the grain and is dead center. The crack doesn’t reach the back though. I’ll glue it after I work it down a bit more. That situation with photo bucket is annoying as all I see now in older posts is either “update your account to allow...” or “(attachment deleted by admin)”.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 07:02:04 am »
Here is an extreme example of a fix; I had a tip overlay come unglued on one side and crack my upper limb down about 6", the crack didn't go through to the belly. Dang, I was just in the finishing stages of the bow, I threw the bow in the dead bow pile.

About a year later and after back surgery I needed a low poundage bow to start shooting again. I thought "I wonder if I can salvage that bow"?

I narrowed the tips and glued in an overlay that was half the thickness of the limb at the tip and feathered it down to paper thing where it transitioned into the limb, I added a osage burl overlay on top of my patch. I use the old style Urac for glue.

Needless to say I was a bit apprehensive about shooting the bow but it stayed together, thousands of shots later it is still shooting with no problems.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 03:19:05 am »
Holy cow! Eric that is one hell of a fix, my crack is on the belly side though so should I use an underlay instead?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:53 am »
If the crack is just on the belly I'd just fill it with super glue and move on.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:21:51 am »
Okay, thanks for the help, kinda need it ;D

Offline Sir Failalot

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:31:18 am »
If the crack is just on the belly I'd just fill it with super glue and move on.

Is it possible to fix a crack on the belly that easy?