Author Topic: Pyramid vs everything else  (Read 18298 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Pyramid vs everything else
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:53 pm »
Well Pat when I get this design right I will. I am still working on the no set thing. I plan on learning from that bow that I cut up. Testing with that at this point. I am determined to get 180fps out of this design. With a proper arrow I'll get Steve! All in good fun though. Wish some of you guys would join us at the flats next year.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »
I think we can establish that the pyramid design is for people who really don't like woodworking too much. ;)  It's the design that always has some  guy wondering why we don't just CNC a bunch out of boards and call it good.

That is a pretty negativw generalization Patm. I love working with wood in way more than this medium and i make pyramid, or variations of pyramid bows all the time
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
Those guys push it as the only way though. That's a lot more negative.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 09:04:34 pm »
Pat come play and learn me something. I don't care what kind of bow anyone builds. I certainly don't claim to have this all figured out. But I am on a mission to try and beat a record. That is as fun for me as building the bows. I don't like building arrows near as much but yes that is part of the flight shooting. Then you get to the natural string material. That is what I really don't care for. I build a lot better bow than a compeditive string. The strings are breaking. Build them not to break and you end up with a rope. So much is frustrating yet the closer you get to one of those records , the more excited you get. At least for me anyway. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:18 pm »
@ Badger and Selfbowman.....How important is arrow design when shooting distance?  from my research you need to be a "good" bowyer and a "great" arrowsmith to do good at the salt flats (distance).  appreciate any comments....
DBar

The broadhead division is pretty straight forward. The bow is the most important as long as the archer does his part. The arrows fly pretty true at 450 grains. In the flight division I would divide it up into three eqal parts of performance. The archer needs to find the sweet spot and get the proper release and the arrow has to come out clean and straighten up fast. My best  shots have all been from decent but not what I would call exceptional bows, all of my bows that have tested fast through a chrono have not done so well in regular flight.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2017, 03:57:00 am »
I somehow doubt a pyramid would out do a mollegebet it a controlled test would be almost impossible.i could be wrong though?

Bring one to the salt flats . From experience that separates the old men from the boys.   ;D
Arvin
sounds like we are comparing apples to oranges.my thought was hunting weight arrows at 20 yards!sorry,to many variable to be objective on this one
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:22 am »
I have been staying out of this one to see where it would go  (W.  All I can say is that they are all good  (SH)  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2017, 09:27:54 am »
My reason for always making pyramid bows is that apart from the fact that they shoot very well, they are exponentially easier to make. I might miss my weight now and then, but have not failed to make a shootable bow more than one time in 50, if that.

This is particularly true of bows that have dips and bumps in the side view. Just keep the thickness even through the bumps and taper the sides evenly.

Tillering by thickness is much more an art and a matter of scraping or sanding, since a change in thickness changes the strength at that spot by the cube of the change in thickness. (making the limb 90% as thick as it was reduces the strength to about 73% of what it was.) So a little too much off can make a hinge in a hurry.

I can make a pyramid bow that's ready to shoot in half an hour. So since I'd rather be shooting than shaving wood, that's what I do.

I'm good with hunting the hard way. But not so much with tillering the hard way.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:39:01 am by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 09:39:44 am »
Been a while since this site had a nice, heated discussion. Its a good thing.

I'm with Marc.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:43 am »
Been a while since this site had a nice, heated discussion. Its a good thing.

I'm with Marc.

Show me your ugly pyramid bows. ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 10:04:27 am »
Never considered building one.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 10:35:39 am »
Verrrry interesting!  I don't know enough to comment, but I like JW's point!  Bows are like kids, some are not as pretty as others.  beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and performance has to be proven.
Enjoyed reading all the points of view!
My level of expertise is zero, I'm still trying to get my bow bench built - I think the "garage troll" farted on my lumber.  May need some unicorn farts to counter act them!  Do have the stave marked and roughed out, thanks to a friend with a bandsaw,though
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Badger

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:20 am »
   I have found that a well made bow whose front profile matches its tillered profile will usually shoot right around 170 with a 10 grain arrow drawn 28" and using a clean release. This is with no string follow. Most all of my bows regardless of style end up right around this number. My ELBs used to come in about 5fps lower but when I changed my technique a bit they came right up with the rest of them.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:01 am »
I think that is pattern that keeps emerging as I study what guys are making,, on any given day a great bow of good design with a good shooter and arrow could be the best,,,

mikekeswick

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2017, 12:13:56 pm »
   I have found that a well made bow whose front profile matches its tillered profile will usually shoot right around 170 with a 10 grain arrow drawn 28" and using a clean release. This is with no string follow. Most all of my bows regardless of style end up right around this number.

Agreed. :)