Author Topic: Free Eastern Red Cedar  (Read 3447 times)

Mysterywriter221

Free Eastern Red Cedar
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:08:55 pm »
My family has had to fell two eastern red cedar trees on our property in New Jersey because of cedar apple rust. If any fletcher or bowyer is interested we'd be happy to give them away for free. We'd rather see them be made into something useful than be chopped up for firewood or left to rot in the woods.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Free Eastern Red Cedar
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:54:15 pm »
Have you split staves out from the trunks yet?  If not, get them split as soon as possible and seal the butt ends of the staves with paint or wood glue to prevent excessive checking/cracking.  Splitting them out will also allow you to post photos of the staves for people to decide if they have the experience to tackle the wood or not.  Gnarly staves need gnarly bowyers.

And yes, I would be interested.  I have an eastern red cedar bow that was made by a bowyer that no longer posts here.  He was fourteen at the time and a bit of a prodigy (we miss you youngbowyer)!  It is a flawlessly tillered 68# behemoth that I cannot get to full draw anymore.  I named it "Grace", because I didn't deserve a bow this great!  I'd like to copy "Grace" in a lighter version if I can get the right piece of wood.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Mysterywriter221

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:17 pm »
I don't have the equipment to process them beyond chopping them into bits with my ax. We haven't even gotten all the branches off.

The trees are all yours if you arrange to have them removed from our property. If it helps they're right by the driveway.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
I don't have the equipment to process them beyond chopping them into bits with my ax. We haven't even gotten all the branches off.

The trees are all yours if you arrange to have them removed from our property. If it helps they're right by the driveway.

If I happen to drive by, I will pick them up. Even if I cannot get a bow from them, I can turn a bowl or two, make a few wooden boxes or picture frames.  Only problem is that I live in western South Dakota and won't likely ever get your way.  Dang, hate to turn down free wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:08:53 am »
Got to be somebody within a "short" drive that can get to it and make staves!  I agree with JW, and I'm even further away.  What part of New Jersey?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Mysterywriter221

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:52:01 pm »
Central Jersey, about half an hour from the PA border.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 09:11:34 pm »
You might get some interest if you post them on your local craigslist.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline warpath

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:35 pm »
Where in Central Jersey? I'm in South Jersey right outside of Philly. Possibly pick some up since I'm getting ready to make more shafts and could use all the cedar I can get for that and various other projects!  (=)

G-Monee  >:D   (SH)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:39:57 am »
Sure hope someone gets it. Just absolutely beautiful heartwood. To far for me though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise