Author Topic: First ever whitetail deer with primitive bow in Finland  (Read 28890 times)

Offline rautasarvi

First ever whitetail deer with primitive bow in Finland
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:50 am »
Hello guys!
I have hunt with primitivebow about 25 years. 15-25 animals/year. Also I hunt deers and mooses with rifle. Over 100 whitetails and 20 mooses so far.
Just a couple months ago we finally get the law change through and now its legal to hunt whitetail deers with bow in Finland.
New law allows to hunt now all species but moose, and large predators(bear, wolf, lynx, wolverine). Next step will be to get through the law that allows also hunt moose
 with bow. To hunt deers you need to shoot the exam. Itīs three arrows from 18 meters to a point 23cm diameter. Only one has shot this exam through with primitive bow, and thatīs me =)
I got the first whitetaildeer ever shot with primitive bow in Finland about two weeks ago. I also shot the second one just a few days from the first. Those are so far the only whitetails shot with primitive bow.
First one I shot from about 11 meters and it walked about 25 meters until falls. Second deer I shot from 13 meters and it falls immediately. Both were fawns.
In Finland we got the first whitetaildeers in 1934 from Virginia, USA. Nowdays we have a large population of whitetaildeers. For example our hunting club have 7000 hectares area and about 200 lisences every season. I hunt at least 10 deers every season. Now I finally can hunt deers with bow, and thatīs amazing!
I make my bows by myself.
This bow I hunt these deers is sinewbackes oak bow, 139 cm long. 55 pounds. Arrows are made from Finnish pine. Self forged arrowheads and fletshing with feathers from our own turkeys.
 :OK

The first one

Second

Offline sleek

Re: First ever whitetail deer with primitive bow in Finland
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:26:41 am »
That is an amazing oportunity you had happen for you! Congratulations on your law change, and your hunt! And whats better, I love how your law has a shoot test. I wish the United States had one. From the looks of it, it appears you are a good hunter, take good shots, and I hope you take maby more :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:26:00 am »
Congratulations on your deer.  That is great news about the new law changes in support of hunters. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:47 am »
          Awesome shot...Please tell us more about the hunt...Didn't know you had whitetail...Need to do more research I guess...
                                      Congratulations!
                                                                      Don

PS. Please show more pics of your bow...

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:30:01 am »
Congratulations, and welcome to PA.  Getting the law changed is a major accomplishment, as well.  Good luck on your future hunts, and keep us posted!  We would like to see more photos of your gear.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:08:27 pm »
thank you for sharing,,, congrats on your bow hunt,, the last deer I killed was with sinew bow about 55 inches long,, almost same as as yours and about 50#,, no recurves just straight,,
please send more photos of your bow,, (SH)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:15:16 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »
Fantastic! I like to hear about bow hunting being expanded rather than limited. Its a good thing for hunters around the world.

Congratulations on your deer
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:32:34 pm »
Congrats on the nice deer and with all the self made equipment that took them.Sounds like a darn good hunting club you belong to.Those deer will sure taste good.
Moose hunting sounds great for the future.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 01:11:04 pm »
also did you use the same bow for the exam as the bow you hunted with,,?

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:23:59 pm »
Very good! Thank you for sharing.  I look forward to hearing more of your hunting adventures.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 08:23:24 am »
nice deers rautasarvi and great to be the first !!
please post more pictures of your bows and arrows. we all want to see  :OK

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 10:51:01 am »
Congratulations on the first and second Primitive Bow whitetail deer. I hope you can spread the thrill of this type of hunting around and many others can enjoy it as well. I'd like a play by play of the hunt to. That's always my favorite part.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline rps3

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:15:29 pm »
Congratulations, and I enjoyed reading your story. It is great to hear about expanding opportunities for bow hunters everywhere. I'm grateful we don't have to pass an exam.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
Congratulations! Nice looking deer

Offline HH~

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 11:00:39 am »
Well Done

They look as good there as they do in America. Congradulations.
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW