Author Topic: Tool for floor tillering black locust?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline TacticalFate

Tool for floor tillering black locust?
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:55:52 pm »
I have some locust staves, and unlike other (softer) woods I've used, my favorite floor tillering tool (surform) does not work on locust very well. I do have a farriers rasp, but that takes forever. I can sometimes floor tiller with a drawknife with softer woods, but locust tears out too easily. Is a Shinto rasp more aggressive on locust than a farrier's rasp?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Tool for floor tillering black locust?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:01:36 pm »
I work quite a bit of black locust. I get it starting to move with my full weight with a draw knife. Then I use the coarse side of the ferriers rasp o get it to about a 18" draw before I swap over to a scraper. This usually goes pretty quick for me.

Kyle

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:17 pm »
I have some locust staves, and unlike other (softer) woods I've used, my favorite floor tillering tool (surform) does not work on locust very well. I do have a farriers rasp, but that takes forever. I can sometimes floor tiller with a drawknife with softer woods, but locust tears out too easily. Is a Shinto rasp more aggressive on locust than a farrier's rasp?
I’ve only worked with one blacklocust stave. With my drawknife, I had to work it bevel down. If I cut bevel up with the flat against the stave it would bite too deep and pull big splinters.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »
I've only worked a couple of BL bows but my farriers rasp worked quite fast. I would say that my Shinto is a tad slower but does a nicer finish. How old is your rasp, maybe it's dull/ worn out?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:20 pm »
I've made lots of BL bows with a surform. To eliminate tear outs I alternate with a scraper.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:39:55 pm »
Slow down!   The farriers rasp should be a pretty aggressive tool for wood removal. Generally from floor tiller to finish I use a #49 rasp and a scraper with just the scraper towards the end. I made lots of locust bows in my early days. Split locust fence rails are readily available around here. I thought it worked similar to osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:46:59 pm »
If your farriers rasp is to slow for you then you need a new farriers rasp.  A good one will remove wood very quickly. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 03:10:45 pm »

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:38:31 pm »
I think it was Tim Baker mentioned (with a warning how it can take wood off in a hurry) the use of a band saw as a power rasp. If I want to take wood off faster to approach floor tiller, I drag the belly of the stave against the side of the tooth edge. It's pretty easy to regulate a cut of 1/6" or so. If there is an eighth of an inch to come off, it's a real time saver.

As I have said before, I'd rather shoot than make bows, so getting there is way LESS than half the fun, for me.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine