Author Topic: 1/2” red oak board question  (Read 2215 times)

Offline dave young

1/2” red oak board question
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
I have a nice 1/2” thick, red oak board, I was wanting to turn into a pyramid bow. My question is, will I have trouble with the glued on handle popping off if I do this? Best way to prevent that?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: 1/2” red oak board question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:26 pm »
Make the handle fade out beyond where the sides fade down to  the handle. So it will already be thicker when it narrows for the handle.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:23:14 pm by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:19:33 pm »
Make a leather or cork riser that will bend with the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:22 pm »
It depends, how wide is the board, a board a full 2to 2-1/2" wide 64" long will this a pyramid style bow in the 50# range under a half inch thick in the limbs. Also glue the handle on in thin strips will help to
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:26:35 am »
When employing a glue-on wood riser, it's possible for it to "pop off" when limbs are bent. Preventing this is relatively easy, but may not be obvious. Slope of transition from top of riser to limb (the fades) needs to extend into the limb itself.

Note that slope of fades extends into thickness of limbs.

As others have mentioned, it also helps if riser is made up of relatively thin pieces, particularly the 1/2" nearest limbs. I often use some 1/8" to 1/4" laminations.

Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857