Author Topic: Two TD-ELB Stylish Bows - Not So Happy End (28.12.2017) - Addendum (05.01.2018)  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Lehtis

Greetings from Finland!
Dark autumn evenings and some spare time to spend... To make (flight) travelling easier I decided to make a couple of TD bows for myself. The project started by selecting suitable timber from my workshop corners and I made the sticks 4 cm wide and 1 m long. Both bows will have Hickory back, ca. 5-6 mm thick. One bow will have ca. 5 mm Cumaru core and Osage Orange belly. The other one will have ca. 5 mm Osage Orange core and Bulletwood (= Massaranduba) belly. I glued the parts with Unibond 800 and squeezed them together with rubber stripes cut from bicyckle tubes. I bended the nock ends ca. 7 cm upwards. After couple of days curing I narrowed the limbs to 30 mm wide and now they are waiting for the metallic connector pieces to be fitted on. Until then...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:51:13 am by Lehtis »

Offline Lehtis

Re: Two TD-ELB Stylish Bows
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:07:31 am »
Some progress... Connector pieces fitted and glued with slow Araldite. Limbs ca. 27 mm outside of the connector pieces. Next to draw the string line and saw out the limb shape...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:41:30 am »
Looking good. Can't wait to see the completed bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:10 am »
Thanks, Pat.

Now the connecting pieces fitted and limbs band sawn to proper width.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:42:21 am »
Very clean work. I appreciate that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:22:43 am »
Slowly proceeding... limb backs rounded and smoothed and ready for bending. Next rounding the bellies and tillering during December...

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:59:51 am »
That bulletwood bellied didn´t want to co-operate. Tillering with long string went OK but when trying to put short string on I got some firewood... :-(

Perhaps that hickory was not best quality, some starting rottening or something. At least that piece is darker, as seen in the earlier pictures, and it exploded just there.

Now I’ve decided to try to make new lower limb to pair it with the undamaged upper limb.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:36:27 am by Lehtis »

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:01:43 am »
Osage bellied one is in better mood and now at adult poundage waiting for horn nocks and fine tuning of tiller.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 10:44:50 am »
Lethis, looks like the back failed causing the belly to fail. Too bad. Hope the other 2 hold up better for you.
If it is OK with you, I may move this post to "Bows" so you'll get better coverage. Let me know if it is OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:53 am »
That’s OK to move.

And I’m going to try to make new low limb to pair the undamaged upper limb.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »
How wide and long are the bows when assembled and what poundage you want from them?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 02:54:07 pm »
Darn! hate it when that happens! Lucky the osage one seems to work out well! Those takedown things look good too, been wanting to do one for a while and looks doable the way you set it up. Nice!

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 11:32:53 pm »
To FilipT: The bow(s) will be man tall, a bit over 180 cm, so the halves with normal travelling stuff will fit in 40 inch bow bag made for travellers with two compund bows (I don’t have any). They are ca. 28 mm wide just at the handle peaces and narrow to 14 mm at rounded tips. They should be ca. 80-85 lbs @ 28” when ready for shooting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:37:12 pm by Lehtis »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 03:14:04 am »
Nice looking work, shame about the blow up :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 10:39:53 am »
Lehtis, I thought they were much wider, that perspective played tricks on my eyes. For such narrow bows you will get pretty strong bow, that is really cool.