Author Topic: Glue on tips  (Read 3849 times)

Offline DC

Glue on tips
« on: November 10, 2017, 12:47:08 pm »
Because Ocean Spray staves seem to come in that grey area between stave and billet(too long for a billet and to short for a bow) I've "V" jointed 3-4" long tips on a couple just to stretch them out a bit. So far I've just used recurve tips. They seem to be safe so I started to think a little more about them. Just using straight(no recurve) tips I can get a longer draw length just because of the limb length but because you can't bend a "V" joint(at least not much) I don't gain any working limb. I'm wondering how much I'm gaining. I'm thinking that the longer unbending tip is kind of Molle like which is arguably a good thing but I don't think I can thin the tips much under 1/2" wide with the "V" joint in there so that means heavier tips. Any thoughts? Thanks

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Glue on tips
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »
 (-P

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:43:27 pm »
Did I just open another can'o'worms? I've not seen many glue on tips so I thought it was relatively rare.

Offline kbear

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »
Wow, okay, I've got a pair of 32" Osage billets that W spliced would make a 60" stave. I prefer 64"+ because I have a long draw. My plan was to extend the bow with a handle section of Cypress, and the Osage limbs V joined either side, and maybe introducing a little reflex.

I could do both!

How long would you make the V joint? If the tips were longer, you could thin outside the V joint. With say a bound joint of say 1/2" to 0 over 2", and a further 6" beyond, you would be sacrificing 2" of the "good stuff" that can no longer work, gain a little mass in the bound joint, but also gain 6" static tips that you could thin right down, dependant on type of wood (something of a contrasting colour would look nice too), that would deliver leverage and draw advantages.

I don't know about you, but I'm keen to try this myself, the next time I have access to a premium, but too short, billet or stave.

Thanks mate!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »
Did I just open another can'o'worms? I've not seen many glue on tips so I thought it was relatively rare.

It's easy enough to do.  People just couldn't be bothered with tip splicing apparently. Straight tips will gain you more length than recurves with less stress.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:37 pm »
Korey- I made my "V" joints 2 1/2-3" long by 1/2" wide. I only need a couple of inches on each end. I want to make the tip as short as possible so that the splice is not in the working portion. There would be no working limb outside the splice. I didn't bind my joints. It's fairly easy to get a good joint with a "V" joint. I used West Systems epoxy.

Straight tips will gain you more length than recurves with less stress.

Thanks Pat, that helps

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 03:45:30 pm »
ok this does not seem to be too dangerous :)so I will chime in,,,
I think its a great idea, and very useful,, better than overstraining the bow to accomodate a long draw,,
If tillered with the tip in mind should shoot great,,,maybe leave the bow a bit wider,, not pyramid, ,just kidding,, but leave it wide and side tiller if needed,,pyramidish,, (SH)

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
  This is something I have been thinking more and more about getting into. I have access to a lot of plum and honey suckle that is a bit too short for bow, Splicing in a handle and tips would give me access to a lot more wood and it kind of looks like fun. I am not fond of applying sinew but I think it might be worth the trouble.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 04:16:17 pm »
  This is something I have been thinking more and more about getting into. I have access to a lot of plum and honey suckle that is a bit too short for bow, Splicing in a handle and tips would give me access to a lot more wood and it kind of looks like fun. I am not fond of applying sinew but I think it might be worth the trouble.

Before you know it you'll be making hornless Mongolian style sinew backed  bows and extolling their virtues. ;)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:04 pm »
ohh its getting dangerious again,,  (--)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:47:54 pm »
Good project and ocean spray is some top notch wood.I'd look at it this way DC.How much working limb can you get along with?From fades to base of V joint.For a 28" draw length if that's what you want 18" per limb will more than get you there.Even less.The extended length will make the bow shoot smoother and sweeter with the lower string angles.Lower stress as Pat M said using straight tipped limbs if those nasty pin knots are too frequent.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:00:35 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
Just finished gluing them on. Left the bark on the tip inserts.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »
That ought to be cool leaving the bark on.If a person thinks about it a 64" bow is totally doable starting from a 52" stave.8" stiff handle/two 8" stiiff tips =24".You have 40" left to work with.After tip grooves 1/2" in your left with 39".That's 19.5" per working limb.
Personally I and many others have made bows from staves that long with those static or close to stiff parts and those working limbs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:32:23 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 11:59:40 pm »

Before you know it you'll be making hornless Mongolian style sinew backed  bows and extolling their virtues. ;)

Exactly what I had in mind minus about 12" reflex and adding several inches in length

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 10:53:20 am »
Just finished gluing them on. Left the bark on the tip inserts.

I took the clamps off this morning and gave it a floor tiller bend. At this point the tips are about 3.5" long. It's amazing how easy it bends compared to yesterday. Yesterday it felt like I had a lot of work yet to get it to the brace point, with the new tips it feels like it's ready to brace. Leverage is amazing. I'll be shortening them a bit I think