Author Topic: Holding beyond brace  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Holding beyond brace
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:57:34 am »
I have been looking around other sites lately and have seen a lot of pics with bows pulled to say 20 in. Or so and held there for work, I have always been paranoid to pull a self bow more then a few seconds beyound brace for fear of taking set , what's your thoughts on hold times ?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:59:03 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline chamookman

Re: Holding beyound brace
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:14:39 am »
I've always thought the same thing, but I suppose if it's not pulled beyond the intended draw weight and not left that TOO long - no fowl . My .02 - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:19:49 am »
I'll occasionally work on a braced bow, but I don't leave 'em part drawn for more than a few second while I look at 'em.
That's the main reason I use video, it allows you to study it at all points in the draw without holding the bow there, you can also see it moving.
Mind I do pull 'em to full target weight as I progress.
Some times I need the winch on warbows and i don't like it as they come back slow (very nerve wracking), I try to let 'em back down ASAP.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 03:57:31 am »
 I agree on the video I used it on the last 2 bows a great help plus you can send to friends for scrutiny !  or stop and study .

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:22:46 am »
Yes it makes me cringe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:52:35 am »
      I need to get my video completed, I hold them at very close to full draw for almost a minute at a time during tillering and I don't pick up any extra set because the bows are built pretty low stress from the beginning. I wouldn't try that on some of my bows from just a few years ago. Maybe slightly overbuilt but they still perform well and the confidence is not an issue which means a lot to me.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »
most the time I think its a bad idea,, why strain the bow,,, I am not surprised Badgers bows can take it for a minute, but I dont think most bows could,,without inducing more set

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:06:24 pm »
I sometimes work on a braced bow but never on a bow pulled to full draw.
I don't see the purpose.
I've seen it done.
But I've seen and heard a lot of these things these days that I don't agree with. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 01:45:30 pm »
Jawge, I don't work on it drawn, I just mark it and study it a bit. I don't go do that at full draw, I back off to about 26"

Offline kbear

Re: Holding beyond brace
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
I used to tiller to full draw on the tree, as a complete noob, based on a video I saw on youtube. I think it was a Rudder Bows video. I never had a bow explode on me, but up to 2" set was standard.

I prefer to consider myself an advanced noob now.........

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 07:18:15 am »
I peg a bow partially drawn on my tree for about 30 seconds while I make gizmo checks. I start at less than brace on the long string and proceed to 20" but no further. I don't scrape on a bow at anything higher than brace, no need to.

Anything that changes during shoot in and needs to be adjusted in will show with a gizmo check at 20".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 07:21:03 am »
Steve, whatever works for you. I work on them at brace and that's it. That's when the bow nears full draw and work is needed at the fades or close to that area.

I've seen that practice on videos too.

I once accidentally nipped the string near the tips  and had like 2 strands left.

Anyway, I've used a rope and pulley since the early 90's.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:10 pm »
I normally never hold a bow for any time beyond brace. There are occasions when I have a very wonky stave that I will hold it on the tiller stick out to about 14" so I can use a Gizmo on it but that is only with difficult staves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 12:53:21 pm »
  The only reason I have been holding mine a bit longer lately is really kind of an experiment. I just want to see if it causes extra set when the bow should be designed with less stress from the start. I hate it when a bow settles in after a few weeks of shooting. So far it seems not to have any negative affect unless I am a bit overstressed anyway.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »
 I agree with many here I don't see any reason for it I have worked hard to get to the point where I can make a bow that holds reflex I couldn't see risking taking set that way when there are other paths to tiller it ,the interesting thing is you never see unstrung profiles of bows made like that in the vids or pics, I say I never hold more then a few seconds but when I'm on the tree in reality I don't hold at all I pull to my mark and as soon as I hit it  I'm releasing pressure back down , I do it in a fluid motion !