Author Topic: Holding beyond brace  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Holding beyond brace
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
  A string with a 4" brace height is only about 1" longer than a string with a 7" brace height. It doesn't make much difference in draw weight and I suspect not much difference in strain.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2017, 05:02:13 pm »
  A string with a 4" brace height is only about 1" longer than a string with a 7" brace height. It doesn't make much difference in draw weight and I suspect not much difference in strain.
If that was the case then tillering with a "long" string is no difference with a shorter string.????? I'm confused.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:33:17 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badger

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
If that was the case then tillering with a "long" string is no difference with a shorter string.????? I'm confused.....

If I have a long string hanging down about 6" on the tiller tree loose and it reads 50#@24", I can brace that same bow to a 6" brace height and it will read almost exactly the same thing at 24"

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2017, 06:31:02 pm »
Hummmmm..... Wow ...I guess I need to pay more attention to the weight (#) when I'm tillering bow.
DBar

Offline Badger

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
      I leave it on the long string now till about 24" then go to full brace.

Offline willie

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »
the spreadsheet I use sometimes allows you to set a brace height. at a typical level of strain on a 63" red oak bendy handle

6.5 in brace allows you to draw to 27.5 inches
7.5 in brace  only allows you to draw to 26.75 inches ....to get to the same strain.

Offline DC

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:00 pm »
   If I have a long string hanging down about 6" on the tiller tree loose and it reads 50#@24", I can brace that same bow to a 6" brace height and it will read almost exactly the same thing at 24"

I'm looking at this and see the 6" droop and the 6" brace. I'll bet that's not a coincidence :D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:57 pm »
I floor tiller to brace is why I guess I have never seen this..............
DBar

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 07:28:05 pm »
Steve,
The more I think about this we/I'm not comparing apples to apples I have been thinking of tillering a bow and your examples are of a finished /tillered bow. could that be the difference?
DBar

Offline Badger

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 07:28:31 pm »
    Most of your draw weight that registers is because of string angle, only a small fraction of it is because the wood is getting harder to bend.

Offline Badger

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
Steve,
The more I think about this we/I'm not comparing apples to apples I have been thinking of tillering a bow and your examples are of a finished /tillered bow. could that be the difference?
DBar

I do them all the time, just finished one a couple of hours ago. They read about the same braced as they do with a loose string.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 08:21:51 pm »
I have seen the long string register about the same as braced, I have tested this just to see,,
when comparing braced to braced,, I see a difference,  my scale will register a difference,, I have not tried comparingf something extreme,, like for example,, 2 inches of brace compared to 10 inches of  brace, I think that would be interesting,,well its all interesting to me,, :) you know your life is a bit boring when brace hieghts are really interesting to you,, :NN

Offline willie

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:07 pm »
Steve,
DBar
DB, are you referring to the weight difference @ xx" draw length, when you first get to it during tillering, and the weight at that same draw length when the bow is finished? In other words what you "lost" while tillering?