Author Topic: More Unnessary Fun !  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Stick Bender

More Unnessary Fun !
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:40:36 pm »
Has any body read the book Traditional Bowyer, More Unnecessary Fun, by Jack Harrison
It is supposed to be the bible for laminated wood bows from some of the reviews ,but figured some body here might know ?

If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: More Unnessary Fun !
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:54:07 pm »
Never heard of it. Is it any good?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:59:20 pm »
Glass bows.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:14:59 am »
I don't know if it covers glass bows in there I have seen it recommended from guys that make all natural  lam material bows as a must have read the book weighs 6 lb. sounds like a good winter read...lol

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:29:00 am »
   Jack is real well known among glass bow builders.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:35 am »
Ok thanks I appreciate it all I have the book on the way will let you know if it's helpfully for wood lam bows I know the bow I'm working on now I  borrowed some from the glass techniques to use on all natural materials a lot of the stuff crosses over both styles nicely ! Probably really the other way around the glass guys probably borrowed it from the natural material side when glass came around !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:11 am »
I got this book a week ago and read it at every chance I get Jack Harrison is a glass bowyer but has made many self bows in his run up to his current glass bows but this book has on of the best chapters on long bow design natural or glass  I have ever read  in my library & exsplanations of wood and wood stresses in all bows he writes in a real world use fashion and doesent give a lot of useless graphs that really don't apply to hands on bow making it very much apply's to wood laminate bow making & self bows even if it's geared to the glass bowyer , he is constantly referencing self bows in his design and wood chapters I would say it's worth the price for the chapters on design & wood alone I'm only 1/4 threw it the book weighs 6 lb and is huge !